• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Gil-galad join the battles of Beleriand?

Since Gil-galad was born in Y.T. 1481, Did he fight in the Battles of Beleriand?

  • Yes

    Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

    Votes: 1 20.0%

  • Total voters
    5
Amdír my friend, back in August of this year you posted this same topic (at least basically), and either forgot what our esteemed Tar-Elenion noted in that thread. . . or did not listen to him, which I do not recommend.

And I, after lazily letting Tar-E do the work, woke up and wrote (in that thread):

"In any case, Tar-Elenion's information hails from a note dated August 1965, which ultimately is in accord with the conception that Gil-galad was the son of Arothir [Orodreth], who was the son of Angrod, which itself was [Christopher Tolkien] "my father's last word on the subject" concerning Gil-galad's parentage.

And indeed, as Tar-E already noted, the 1965 note has Gil-galad being the son of a Sindarin lady of the North, and so, this is not in accord with Gil-galad being born in Aman."

As a side note, in the former thread you seem to be counting web site references when you write:
"but most sources say that gil-galad was born in the eldamar. According to the majority of sources, gil-galad was born in Eldamar. It is written in already another version that gil-galad's mother is a sindar elf of the north. I personally think according to the majority of sources, gil-galad was born in eldamar."

But in any case, Tar-Elenion was referring to Tolkien-written references.

Anyway, there's a tiny mouse in my toaster. Gotta go.
 
Man, I hate those toaster mice. 😡
imageService.jpeg
 
They're sometimes annoying but always delicious ;)

🐾
 
Amdír my friend, back in August of this year you posted this same topic (at least basically), and either forgot what our esteemed Tar-Elenion noted in that thread. . . or did not listen to him, which I do not recommend.

And I, after lazily letting Tar-E do the work, woke up and wrote (in that thread):



As a side note, in the former thread you seem to be counting web site references when you write:
"but most sources say that gil-galad was born in the eldamar. According to the majority of sources, gil-galad was born in Eldamar. It is written in already another version that gil-galad's mother is a sindar elf of the north. I personally think according to the majority of sources, gil-galad was born in eldamar."

But in any case, Tar-Elenion was referring to Tolkien-written references.

Anyway, there's a tiny mouse in my toaster. Gotta go.
I am a little forgetful. Because I have OCD, I use medication. It makes me a little forgetful. And you still haven't forgotten the previous topic. I'm amazed by your memory. I'm sorry, I'm being a little careless when opening the topic.
 
No problem at all Amdír!

This tasty mouse is about to have a big problem though ;)
 
dare I ask how you get them to stay in the toaster until they're done?

Depends upon my mood ;)

Aside

Generally speaking, when shiny new Tolkien-written materials are published, as somewhat recently with NOME, the web sites "out there" naturally like to include the info within. Okay. No problem of course; but to my mind "they" don't always clearly describe the external details -- given that Tolkien's work on the Elder Days was a fluid, never finished thing.

And I often respond within my own take on canonicity. Thus, for me, this particular matter is settled, as here I have Tolkien's last word on this subject (as far as I know, right now, at least), and which "last" word does not contradict Tolkien's published word.

Not everyone agrees with my approach, of course. . . or using other words, those who don't agree are not me.

;)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Ent
By the way, this specific text (which includes the VY date of Gil-galad's birth, page 81 NOME) is not noted in my NOME index under Gil-galad! Possibly 'cause the text has Gilgalad? I don't know.

Anywho, if anyone's looking.

Tar-Elenion what can be said about this brief, rough "contemporary" note compared to the maturity/ageing schemes in Ageing of Elves? I didn't see this note addressed in your amazing
Elven Ageing Variants thread.

But in any case, please don't make me do math ;)
 
Tar-Elenion what can be said about this brief, rough "contemporary" note compared to the maturity/ageing schemes in Ageing of Elves? I didn't see this note addressed in your amazing
Elven Ageing Variants thread.

But in any case, please don't make me do math ;)
I'm not sure without doing a 'deep dive'.
What I noted in Amdir's other thread is:
"...the variant which has him of unknown parentage born in YT 1481 notes him as 25 10 to 20 years into the the Second Age. Meaning he only reached 'maturity' in the last century of the First Age."

I think I said that looking at the other 'contemporary' material Hostetter associated with the Ageing of Elves text (i.e. the 'Idril should be 30 in Bel. 500' portion).
IIRC, the Ageing of Elves chapter is messy, as it seems to switch between various concepts: e.g. not duodecimal and has a quickening, to duodecimal and no quickening.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ent
Understood Tar-E. Thanks.

IIRC, the Ageing of Elves chapter is messy, as it seems to switch between various concepts: e.g. not duodecimal and has a quickening, to duodecimal and no quickening.

Indeed! Also, last night I read the "Idril text" (for a third time), and it alone mentally exhausted me into a twelve hour nap.

:)
 
Last edited:
  • Pondering
Reactions: Ent

Similar threads

Back
Top