• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Gimli name his ax?

1stvermont

Active Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2017
Messages
891
I am clearing some brush and small trees from the edge of my yard that foxes like to use to ambush our chickens. Yesterday I purchased an ax and naturally thought to name it Gimli. However, my son had a better idea; he said to name it after Gimli's ax. So, did Gimli name his weapon of choice, and what is it if he did?
 
I dont recall it either. I know he gives out a war cry about dwarven axes at helms deep but I don't remember a name.
According to my J.E.A. Tyler "Tolkien Companion", entry "Khazâd", the battle cry "Baruk Khazâd!" meant "Axes of the Dwarves!" So perhaps "baruk" meant axes, but possibly also "axes of". What the singular "ax" would be from this ...
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top