I would not blame
Finwe for re-marrying. From what we read in the
Laws and Customs... it is obvious that it was a natural state for the
Elves to marry in their early years and stay married in the meaning of that special bond between the fear even if the hroar were not physically close. But when a fea refuses that bond (as in the case of Mirilel) the harmony is destroyed. It WAS a precedent! Yet it had to be handled in such a way as to come as close as possible to the
natural state. And so the
Vala did ...and Finwe was allowed to re-marry. A fea of an
Elf was normally seeking for a union. And it was provided.
On the other hand, with Miriel Finwe had only one son. I doubt that he was too much satisfied with this fact!
I don't see this as
selfish!
Finally, I would not be hasty to condem
Feanor for being
selfish in his reaction to his father's second marriage, either! Referring to the essay above mentioned, we learn that Elves - mothers and Elves- children had a very strong bond on the level of their fear. That's why the mothers could give the second names to their children based on a special foresight about the character of the new-born. Feanor lost his mother spiritually rather than physically in a very early age, so it was a heavy blow on his fea and mind.
We also learn that in the yearly years of their youth and marriages, the Elves tended to live together in a happy family environment which was extremely important for the growing up generation. Now .... Did Feanor have all this? No! What he had experienced was a father moarning at the side of the fea-less body of his mother; grief and sorrow - instead of happiness and
merry laughter and songs (an environment typical for the houses of the Elves, I think) ... etc. Could he then be blamed for "breeding" up a "gloom" character of himself? ...
But ... I'm sorry! This thread is not about Feanor, but about Finwe.