• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Sam is God?!

Having read Azrubêl's “divine summary”, I thought this bizarre thread might actually be a place to share a little humor. Let me show where this leads us but if anyone don't like it: say close it and I’ll shut up. Just having fun, right? Here we go:

I herewith formally appoint Arwen to this forum as a symbol in LotR for the "Holy Virgin" (at least up to but not including the time she spent with Faramir in some private rooms of the Houses of Healing, where after her joys of living “miraculously” improved).​

Check your books: at least part of this is true so my stupid stuff is way better than "Did Sam is God?" :cool:​

Fellow forum-members: did others is Gods? o_O
We have to handle a question here! :oops:
 
Having read Azrubêl's “divine summary”, I thought this bizarre thread might actually be a place to share a little humor. Let me show where this leads us but if anyone don't like it: say close it and I’ll shut up. Just having fun, right? Here we go:

I herewith formally appoint Arwen to this forum as a symbol in LotR for the "Holy Virgin" (at least up to but not including the time she spent with Faramir in some private rooms of the Houses of Healing, where after her joys of living “miraculously” improved).​

Check your books: at least part of this is true so my stupid stuff is way better than "Did Sam is God?" :cool:​

Fellow forum-members: did others is Gods? o_O
We have to handle a question here! :oops:

To jump onto your re-direction toward humor and simultaneously abandon it, I can respond: Arwen does indeed exhibit aspects of the "Holy Virgin". Tolkien took something of a classical approach to his writing, in that he formed characters out of archetypal patterns and integrated them into his stories -- one of the reasons I think that his writing style is so effective and one of the reasons I like it so much!

To return to the humor: I heard Tolkien LOVES allegory in all its manifestations.

The Good Professor said:
“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.”
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top