• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Tolkien ever acknowledge Kuehnelt-Leddihn's concepts?

I rather doubt it. The book that I own dealing most with "sources" - other authors - which may have influenced JRRT is Verlyn Flieger's 1997 "A Question of Time, which lists some authors which might surprise some readers of JRRT's books, but not (von) Kuehnelt-Leddihn. He moved to England in 1935 "to become a schoolmaster at Beaumont College, a Jesuit public school. Subsequently [1937], he moved to the United States" (Wiki), where he taught at several colleges and Universities before returning to Austria in 1947. Most of his publishing was post-WW II.

I would rather guess that similarities arise through a shared (conservative) Catholicism, doubts about democratic rule of the "masses" coupled with a leaning towards monarchy. This, though, can be quite different when comparing England after the "Glorious Revolution" of 1688 (no idea what JRRT thought about that), something of a constitutional monarchy, and Kuehnelt-Leddihn's background in the Austro-Hungarian empire still existing at the time of his birth in 1909 (so he was 17 years younger than JRRT), or his favoring a reestablishment of the "Holy Roman Empire of the German nation", as per the German Wiki article on him (not mentioned in the English Wiki article). "Convergent Evolution" (of thought), so to speak.
 
I rather doubt it. The book that I own dealing most with "sources" - other authors - which may have influenced JRRT is Verlyn Flieger's 1997 "A Question of Time, which lists some authors which might surprise some readers of JRRT's books, but not (von) Kuehnelt-Leddihn. He moved to England in 1935 "to become a schoolmaster at Beaumont College, a Jesuit public school. Subsequently [1937], he moved to the United States" (Wiki), where he taught at several colleges and Universities before returning to Austria in 1947. Most of his publishing was post-WW II.

I would rather guess that similarities arise through a shared (conservative) Catholicism, doubts about democratic rule of the "masses" coupled with a leaning towards monarchy. This, though, can be quite different when comparing England after the "Glorious Revolution" of 1688 (no idea what JRRT thought about that), something of a constitutional monarchy, and Kuehnelt-Leddihn's background in the Austro-Hungarian empire still existing at the time of his birth in 1909 (so he was 17 years younger than JRRT), or his favoring a reestablishment of the "Holy Roman Empire of the German nation", as per the German Wiki article on him (not mentioned in the English Wiki article). "Convergent Evolution" (of thought), so to speak.


I think you are correct on this one. I tried to see if Tolkien referenced him at all in his letters.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top