Aha. In some firther research, I discover all 20 of the rings are considered "great rings." Stupid me.
There is little debate there were more than the 20, these the 'lesser' rings that were made in the learning process, with which
Tolkien has little to nothing to do, other than having
Saruman call himself "Saruman,
ring-maker" at one point.
They would all be '
rings of power' of some kind...even the lesser rings made during the learning process. 'Twas their very purpose in one way or anther - to provide or enhance power.
And surely not all were made with
evil intent or under
Annatar's direction to suit his schemes for dominance and control.
So coming back to
Gandalf's statement "A
Ring of Power looks after itself..." is he referring to "all"
the rings of power,including the lesser ones? Or just the sullied rings of power.
Surely a Ring of Power not of 'evil' nature would not 'slip off a finger treacherously"...?
I personally must conclude as to the "purpose" behind Gandalf's clear mis-statement to
Frodo, (which I've come to believe it was since he fails to encompass the whole range of Rings of Power), was limited to the behaviors of the sullied rings of power for impact and clarity's sake on behalf of the unlearned recipient,
Frodo Baggins. i.e. Gandalf was speaking 'to the level of the receiver' and the 'particular need of the moment.' The rest of the truth could wait for a more appropriate time.
Muddle, muddle, toil and fuddle. What a mess, what a mess, we've stepped in a puddle.
Let's sort it out - get into a huddle. Or lets just forget it. Lets just go and cuddle.
There is an interesting discussion of the rings here:
#tolkien #middleearth #fantasy Q: How Did the Divisions of the Great Rings Come About? ANSWER: I received the following inquiry in September 2023: I’ve always been a little confused about the…
middle-earth.xenite.org