Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.
Register
My clearest memories of a role "daddy" Sutherland played was that of "Hawkeye" opposite Elliot Gould's "Trapper John" in the 1970 film precursor of the hugely successful TV series "M*A*S*H". So Sutherland senior was the precursor of Alan Alda. I remember it so clearly because I saw it at college (meaning earliest in fall of 1973), and right at the beginning, when Hawkeye and Trapper John meet in the tent they will be sharing, they have recognized each other as having played on opposing American football teams in college, with Trapper John playing for my college which apparently lost that game to Hawkeye's team. That scene received a foundation-rattling BOO from what was obviously a highly partisan audience.
I first saw Donald Sutherland as Vernon L. Pinkley (#2 aka 'The General') in the movie ‘The Dirty Dozen’. It was at a drive in and the next movie was 'Kelly's Heroes' where he played 'Oddball'.
Later, I saw him in Klute with Jane Fonda. An excellent Noir movie, and I realized he had a range of acting skills. Then of course the movie the Gandolorian mentioned ... MASH as Hawkeye Pierce...
Rest in Peace Donald. Thanks for entertaining us over the decades in all your varied roles.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.