
I actually think this might be deliberate - leaving the relatively lush land/seascapes of Caladan for the brutal realities of Arrakis.Another reason why I didn't like the second DUNE movie was that it seemed to sacrifice detail to action. The first one had lots of nice details like the gloglobe light, semuta music, sandworm tapestries, the underlying theme of the Old Duke and the bull ect. This made the DUNE universe and Arakkis seem alive and real, as if you could actually hop on a guild spaceship and go visit it. The second movie seemed to get rid of a lot of that detail and meaning to make room for action, which wasn't actually that impressive. Of course, that's just me as a Dune geek. Perhaps people who haven't read the book are confused by the details, but for me they added depth to the story.
Still, there are so many nuances in the Fremen culture that could have been included. Having visited the Desert, I would say that it has just as much detail as lusher landscapes, if not more. The pressure of water-starvation, the different types of thumpers, worm-steersman calls, the tapestries in sietches, water coins, dew catchers... I'd say that there is actually more detail on Arrakis than on Caladan.I actually think this might be deliberate - leaving the relatively lush land/seascapes of Caladan for the brutal realities of Arrakis.
It's so much more primitive and sharp edged, basic dwellings are exactly that - this shows just what a different place Paul finds himself in?
I think there's a fair amount of stuff going on though.Still, there are so many nuances in the Fremen culture that could have been included. Having visited the Desert, I would say that it has just as much detail as lusher landscapes, if not more. The pressure of water-starvation, the different types of thumpers, worm-steersman calls, the tapestries in sietches, water coins, dew catchers... I'd say that there is actually more detail on Arrakis than on Caladan.
You should definitely buy the first book, closely followed by the next five; they are absolutely brilliant.I've never read or watched Dune before, but one of my family members has. He said it was probably one of the best newer movies that have come out so far, and though he thought that part one was better than the second, it's got much more structure than certain films that are being made at this time (*cough* the new MCU movies *cough*).
Thinking about buying the first book soon.
(Sorry if this is irrelevant)
I have a copy that you can borrow. It's a bit sandy, though (I tend to take it with me every time I visit the Desert)...I've never read or watched Dune before, but one of my family members has. He said it was probably one of the best newer movies that have come out so far, and though he thought that part one was better than the second, it's got much more structure than certain films that are being made at this time (*cough* the new MCU movies *cough*).
Thinking about buying the first book soon.
(Sorry if this is irrelevant)
That would be amazing! It's fine if it's sandy, it fits the book anyway (it's funny that we're both online right now).I have a copy that you can borrow. It's a bit sandy, though (I tend to take it with me every time I visit the Desert)...
I have a copy that you can borrow. It's a bit sandy, though (I tend to take it with me every time I visit the Desert)...
"My lungs taste the air of Time, blown past falling sands."But is it dune sand? 🤔
Ah, well, depends what you mean by "Dune sand". If you mean "sand from the planet Dune/Arrakks" then I'm afraid that what with Guild transport prices being what they are now and CHOAM monitoring the planet it would be very inconvenient for me to visit Arrakis simply to get a book sandy. However, if you mean "sand from a dune", then yes, the sand is 100% authentic grains from the top of a Desert dune.But is it dune sand? 🤔
Sand from Arrakis? In this economy??Ah, well, depends what you mean by "Dune sand". If you mean "sand from the planet Dune/Arrakks" then I'm afraid that what with Guild transport prices being what they are now and CHOAM monitoring the planet it would be very inconvenient for me to visit Arrakis simply to get a book sandy. However, if you mean "sand from a dune", then yes, the sand is 100% authentic grains from the top of a Desert dune.