• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Entwives and the Shire

Were the Ents and Entwives reunited at some point?

  • Yes, they were. They fled into the East/Hal saw an Entwife

    Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No, they were all destroyed. *sad sad sad*

    Votes: 6 42.9%

  • Total voters
    14
Tolkien didn't know it himself:
I think the Entwives disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance when Sauron pursued a scorched earth policy and burned their land against the advance of the Allies down the Anduin. They survived only in the 'agriculture' transmitted to Men (and Hobbits). Some, of course, may have fled east, or even have become enslaved: tyrants even in such tales must have an economic and agricultural background to their soldiers and metal-workers. If any survived so, they would indeed be far estranged from the Ents, and any rapprochement would be difficult- unless experience in industrial and militarized agriculture had made them a little more anarchic. I hope so. I don't know.
Letters of Tolkien, no. 144.
 
Stupid Entwives. Why did they leave the Ents anyway. They paid for there mistakes and so did the Ents. And how do Ents reproduce?
 
I am weird in a certain way that I don't really want to know what happened to certain things like the Entwives. I like the unanswered questions and the mystery that surrounds them and I almost hate to make a decision about stuff like this because it would destroy that "magic" for me.

I've always considered the tree-man that Hal saw to be an Ent, but a male Ent. I don't know how true that is though. I've always considered Old Man Willow and certain trees in the Old Forest to be a sleepy Ents as well. I don't think the Entwives are ever glimpsed in the stories as more than far off memories. I like to keep them that way and not really know whether or not they meet their matches or not.
 
'But what about these Tree-men, thse giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back.

...

'But this one was walking, I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors

Now I know this can't be Ents because Fangorn says that the Ents don't go there. Is this some conspiracy left un-conspiritated by Tolkien?!
 
This thread deals with this issue, as do many others like it.. :rolleyes:
In there I think I say that the 'walking tree' that Sam's friend or cousin saw was either a Huorn or an Ent. It couldn't have been an Entwife, because in many places it is stated that the Entwives were all killed off by Sauron. :(
And even if an Entwife or two had survived, I believe that over time they would have turned into Huorns, like Fangorn had witnessed happen to many of his old friends.
And it couldn't have ben an Entling (which was another suggestion I made before), because there were (suposedly) no Entiwives around, and even if there was there were no Ents to know about them.
Phew. ;)

And yes, Anamatar; but it doesn't indicate whether it was an Entwife that Sam's friend/cousin or not..
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top