• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Favourite 🧝elven kindred

Which of the elven kindreds is your favourite?

  • The Vanyar

    Votes: 10 16.7%
  • The Noldor

    Votes: 29 48.3%
  • The Teleri

    Votes: 21 35.0%

  • Total voters
    60

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Joined
Apr 27, 2002
Messages
4,602
Favourite elven people

Which of the three elven peoples do you find the most fascinating, wonderful,..etc?
Could you possibly identify with any of them - in the sense that you share some particular characteristic with one of them?
And,of course,explain your choice (the more thorough the explanation the better).
I guess most people will choose the Noldor because the Sil revolves around their sorrows and magnificent achievements.I could be wrong though.
I cannot choose right now,I have to think it through - it's a really hard question!
:)
 
Last edited:
Hmmm, that is a hard question. Right now it's a tie between the Teleri and the Noldor. I really like Cirdan and Galdor(of course) and some of the other Teleri. But also like Galadriel, Elrond, Glorfindell, Turgon...., who were all Noldor. I'll have to think about it and get to you guys on it later.
 
The Nandor. Because of the way they were described I would think that Radagast might have invisibly hung out with them. Let me find a quote to painstakingly write down for you. "Those were the Nandor; and they became a people apart, unlike their kin, save that they loved water, and dwelt most beside falls and running streams. Greater knowledge they had of living things, tree and herb, bird and beast, than all other elves." I don't know what's wrong with me. I probably just like them because that's the most I know about them. :rolleyes:
 
After much pondering I have finally decided to vote for the Teleri with the Noldor being a close second. Both my favourite elves have Telerin blood (Cirdan-full,Galadriel-half-Telerin). I love their affiliation with the sea and with Ulmo for whom they have a deep reverence. I also find their love for ship-making and their sea-longing very appealing.
But Yay for all elves!:)
 
We get to see the Noldor and Teleri in the worst of times and this tells us more about them than we learn of the Vanyar. Most of my favorite elves(be it because they are heroic, or kind, or wise) are all among the Noldor. I can not say for sure that this is my favorite kind though. I see the Noldor as being more like men than the other Elves are, and I find them to be the most interesting to read about. The Teleri were good people, but their history is not as packed full of amazing deeds as is the Noldor. Those are some thoughts on the answer to this questions, and I suppose I would pick the Noldor if I had to choose one. I will add that I do not see the Elves as three kinds, but either 1 or many more than 3.

I also wonder: how different would things really have been if Feanor were of the Vanyar. Are those people so different that they would not have followed him? If they did follow him, would they last long against Morgoth.

I think the 3 types are more alike than the major events of them were. I think the types of elves seemed different because they had different leaders, but the nature of each elf was much like that of the other kinds. I'm sure this changed though, as the different groups broke off and went their own ways.
 
Vanyar: too "right". They never disobeyed the Valar, they were their favorite kindred. They remind me of the "good students" at school. I would never identify with them. They had no adventurous spirit at all.
Teleri: now, these folk were ok. They had their great love the Sea, they didn't want to leave it even for Valinor (they lived at Alqualonde, outside the Pelori mountains), they had their adventurous. But still, they didn't have the character of a leader.
Noldor: this are my favorite. They made their errors, but that is the point. To learn from them, to become a better elf (or man).They showed their great valour in danger, while the Vanyar were sitting in their safe houses, next to their protectors. They grew up and finally I believe they surpassed the others. That's my opinion in general, maturity comes through difficult situations.
 
I would have to go with the Noldor on this one. They are responsible for almost all of the greatest deeds in Elven lore. If it weren't for them, there wouldn't be a Sil. They are, in my opinion, the most valiant and hardy of the 3 main divisions of Elves. And that's why they get my vote.
 
Hey now- let's not forget the Teleri- I personally affiliate with them more because they seem to be more independent of the Valar. While the Vanyar are busy hanging on every word, of the Valar, and the Noldor are busy running about and creating havoc, the Teleri are busy trying to live thier own lives and be thier own people. But then again, all Elves are superior ;)
 
I'd have to go with the Teleri. Lúthien, who is the greatest of the Eldar (and my favourite elf), is half Telerin. Círdan also is a favourite and a Teleri. Galadriel is part Telerin. The Sindar in general are my favourite elven group. Too many favourites coincide for the Teleri not to be my favourite.
 
What did Teleri do when Earendil reached Valinor?Did they go with the Valar?Some will say they didn't join the Valar because of the past,but the war wasn't for Noldor,it was for the Men.Valar had to save the men.Teleri didn't care about anything,they just lived protected from the Valar.They had to take part in The War of Wrath,because of men.
 
Gil-Galad,again we disagree.Weird,huh?:rolleyes:

What's with all the Teleri-bashing eh?:p They are a worthy group of elves : wise,peaceful,...great singers:rolleyes:.Yes they didn't make anything (like the Silmarils) but still...I love them the most.
 
They live in such way cause they're protected and nothing is required from them.Do they suffer?Do they fight with Morgoth?Do they help people?Do they help Valar in The War of Wrath?
What kind of greatness is when you do NOTHING,just living without any care for others.
 
Eeeemmmmmm...hello?
What do you mean "they don't suffer" ? What about Thingol's realm? What about the myriad elves who lived in Beleriand and were slain in the wars with Morgoth? MANY MANY elves who lived in Gondolin and Nargothrond and throughout Beleriand were Telerin in origin (don't be confused with the term "Sindar" - that's Teleri too!).
Luthien is half Telerin,and the children of Finarfin also.
Anything else?
 
I meant the Teleri who stayed nearest to Valinor.Of cousre those who were in ME suffered,but not as much as Noldors.
 
Well the Teleri who lived in Alqualondë suffered the kinslaying and that's enough if you ask me.Should they have gone to ME too? Sorry but they were a bit too wise to do that!
 
The Lindar (division of elves who lived in Alqalondë) had no responsibility to help Men. Why should they? Men were the Valar's responsibility alone.

And I agree with ithrynluin - The Kinsalying was not enough grief!?

Here's the short and skinny on this particular subject (according to moi, or course) :

Sure, the Noldor suffered, but they brought it on themselves. The Teleri suffered, but much of their suffering was brought on them by others, and they shared no responsibilty in it (can anyone say The Kinsalying?).
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top