Fingon_Findekáno
Loyal Best Friend
- Joined
- May 3, 2023
- Messages
- 3,057
Okay, so I scoured through all 46 pages of the Silmarillion forum and found nothing that addressed this, so here now I feel I must ask my burning question(s):
Following Fingolfin’s death in his battle with Morgoth, why did Thorondor carry his body to Gondolin, rather than bring it back to Hithlum, where Fingon was? I know it would have been more protected in the cairn built for him by Turgon in the mountains of Tumladen, but what was the point? To spare Fingon from having to see the broken body of his father? To show Turgon what had happened, since he kept himself hidden away from the rest of the world?
And to that note, who was it that brought the grim news to Fingon, telling him his father had been slain and that he was now High King of the Noldor? It couldn’t have been one of Turgon’s messengers, could it? And if not, did Thorondor himself become the bearer of bad news to him?
Finally, a little side thought- Whatever happened to Fingolfin’s horse, Rochallor? Last I knew, Fingolfin rode him out to meet Morgoth, but it’s never mentioned if he returned without his rider, or if he was killed, or rescued.
If any of you have any ideas or knowledge in what’s written in the depths of Tolkien’s notes about this, I would appreciate your generosity in sharing it very much!
Following Fingolfin’s death in his battle with Morgoth, why did Thorondor carry his body to Gondolin, rather than bring it back to Hithlum, where Fingon was? I know it would have been more protected in the cairn built for him by Turgon in the mountains of Tumladen, but what was the point? To spare Fingon from having to see the broken body of his father? To show Turgon what had happened, since he kept himself hidden away from the rest of the world?
And to that note, who was it that brought the grim news to Fingon, telling him his father had been slain and that he was now High King of the Noldor? It couldn’t have been one of Turgon’s messengers, could it? And if not, did Thorondor himself become the bearer of bad news to him?
Finally, a little side thought- Whatever happened to Fingolfin’s horse, Rochallor? Last I knew, Fingolfin rode him out to meet Morgoth, but it’s never mentioned if he returned without his rider, or if he was killed, or rescued.
If any of you have any ideas or knowledge in what’s written in the depths of Tolkien’s notes about this, I would appreciate your generosity in sharing it very much!
