• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🍲Food and Bother

Erurávennë

Lover of all that matters ~ From PA, USA
Joined
Nov 30, 2025
Messages
256
I thought a thread on food would be fun. It could include discussion on:
- Food in and related to Tolkien and his works (and other authors?)
etc... in a Hobbit-like spirit.
- What are you cooking?
- What are you enjoying?
- etc...

Would anyone enjoy this? Should this be moved, merged, expanded, changed, or kept as is?

To start, I am making some beef jerky today for the first time, which I hope to bring backpacking, hiking, and on other adventures. I love cooking and eating for nourishment and enjoyment, and exploring traditional food making practices.
 
PB&J... on toast...forever and ever.... amen.
I wonder how many of these replies will be sandwiches.

I'm old enough to have a grandson and I STILL like my bologna and cheese. On white. With a dab of mustard.
 
I wonder how many of these replies will be sandwiches.

I'm old enough to have a grandson and I STILL like my bologna and cheese. On white. With a dab of mustard.
Maybe a lot... and if that is so get ready to read about some really...odd😬..... concoctions.
 
A couple of old threads may give food for thought:
 
Always love a good food thread! It is time for a new one! I may get active again!

Adding to Sqint-Eye's food for thought is more food for thought from over the years...


There may be more threads on food...


To start, I am making some beef jerky today for the first time, which I hope to bring backpacking, hiking, and on other adventures. I love cooking and eating for nourishment and enjoyment, and exploring traditional food making practices.


I have a wonderful jerky recipe I've used a lot when I was taking regular treks into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness when I lived in Washington State. Fairly simple.
First, the meat. Any good beef or venison cut will work, but if you want a lower fat beef jerky use about 1Kg/2Lb of brisket or flank steak.

Mix together these ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon season salt

Cut the meat into 1/4 inch strips and marinate a minimum of one day in the mixture.
Shake out excess from the strips and string them out on cake racks or oven racks and cook for 5-6 hours at 80° (C) / 175° (F).

Remove from the oven and blot with paper towels and let cool.
 
Always love a good food thread! It is time for a new one! I may get active again!

Adding to Sqint-Eye's food for thought is more food for thought from over the years...


There may be more threads on food...





I have a wonderful jerky recipe I've used a lot when I was taking regular treks into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness when I lived in Washington State. Fairly simple.

First, the meat. Any good beef or venison cut will work, but if you want a lower fat beef jerky use about 1Kg/2Lb of brisket or flank steak.

Mix together these ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon season salt

Cut the meat into 1/4 inch strips and marinate a minimum of one day in the mixture.
Shake out excess from the strips and string them out on cake racks or oven racks and cook for 5-6 hours at 80° (C) / 175° (F).

Remove from the oven and blot with paper towels and let cool.
I am glad to hear you like a good food thread; I thought we could use a new one. Thanks for gathering those other threads. And thanks for the jerky recipe!
This looks very similar to the recipe I am using; I will take it into thought as I experiment and make future batches.
 
Ent is always up for a decent bag of fertilizer.
Especially with a good batch of Ent-draigjt/

1779880158525.png
 
I have been loving steak and oven-roasted zucchini every day for lunch. I tend to try things and then cannot get enough of them until it happens again... 😆 Anyone else?
Really loving summer more than I have ever before this year, too!; embracing hotter weather and loving fresh produce (particularly my grandparent's blueberries - incomparable to any other!) and planning each day with what I love.
 
I have been eating rice with salami and pickles (the pickles are not touching the salami, to be clear). It actually works out really well, since the rice is very bland, and the salami and pickles are very savory, it sort of balances out.
 
One of my jalapeño plants is still pushing out chilies despite it being winter here in Oz.
Made some fresh Pico de Gallo to use on baked potatoes the other night.
I used Nina's recipe.

Ingredients

  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
  • ½ bunch cilantro (I pick off the leaves and chop them finely)
  • 1 serrano or ½ jalapeño chile, finely chopped (I used a whole jalapeño)
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoon salt If you prefer a less salty pico de gallo, use 1 or 1½ teaspoon

Cooking Instructions

• Mix the salt, sugar and lime juice in a bowl until the sugar and salt is dissolved.
• Place the diced onion in the bowl and make sure it all gets into the juice mixture.
• Leave aside for a few minutes and allow the onions to cure. (I left them for 5 minutes)
• Add the diced tomatoes, chiles and chopped cilantro into the bowl and mix it all together and serve.

It was good with melted cheese and chopped bacon on a hot baked potato, and is good for dipping corn chips into as well.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top