• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Frodo: 📔Book vs. Film

Yes Tolkien just didn't like Disney did he!

Actually, Gandalf answers this question in the next chapter ("Many Meetings") explaining to Frodo that the Black Riders rode real horses who were born and bred to the service of the Dark Lord - one can't help feel sorry for them.

One could ask how Gandalf knows all this but he has been around for a while and seems to have perception beyond the human, and well he's Gandalf.
 
Personally, I think him showing Frodo as the weak Hobbit is mainly related to the influence and the power of the ring.
Or at least, that was the message I got from the movies.
 
Exactly. As was PJ's depiction of Faramir; of Aragorn; of the Ents - and the Ent-moot; of Elrond and his Elves leaving Rivendell; of Gandalf's confrontation with the Witch-king at Minas Tirith; Nazgûl becoming aware of Frodo - at Osgiliath; Aragorn's confrontation with the Mouth of Sauron; Denethor not having the beacons lit; this list could get awfully long ... 🤬
 
Yeah, you could practically go through the whole film trilogy and find something that's a bit off; not all of them worth getting upset about perhaps, but still there.
 
My father loves and I mean loves LOTR, but he'll never read the books because it's just not something he does. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there like my dad who are just not into reading books. I see a lot of these parts that are done differently from the books be there to clear out some question that would arise for those who are just purely movie fans. Not all of them, of course.
Aragorn and Arwen's love story and all the extra scenes with Arwen could be called that.
 
 
My father loves and I mean loves LOTR, but he'll never read the books because it's just not something he does. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there like my dad who are just not into reading books.
I can probably "understand", purely abstractly, reasons why people ended up being "just not into reading books". Having been able to read before entering school, and a book-worm all my life, I suspect that I would put 100% of the reasons in the "bad reasons basket".
I see a lot of these parts that are done differently from the books be there to clear out some question that would arise for those who are just purely movie fans.
That films seen once in a cinema (but from posts I read especially on my first JRRT site, Council of Elrond, at least several of the people there watched them multiple times in the cinema, to put it mildly) need to adapt to having one shot at "grabbing the audience" (especially in a trilogy having done live shots for all three films before the first one premiered) - no question. But to turn things from the book on their heads - to lie, to put it brutally - does not belong to the needs of telling a story in a film, as the silicate-brained trolls of that industry keep trying to tell us. The needs for them to be able to understand their own product, perhaps - when your IQ equals your body temperature ...

... no, I don't mean the 98.6 as measured in Fahrenheit, I mean the 37 as measured in Centigrade (Celsius) ... 😈
 
I love the books and the Jackson films. The books are my preference, but the film is so deeply epic it makes me happy just thinking about it.

The books and films compliment each another. In the preface to Unfinished Tales, Christopher Tolkien writes about why he published even with certain ideas in motion in Tolkien's legendarium. If that applies to the books, how much more the motion picture?

 
My father loves and I mean loves LOTR, but he'll never read the books because it's just not something he does.
Have you considered trying to read it to him? I read The Hobbit and about half of LOTR to my mother once. Admittedly this was when she was mostly bedridden while recovering from an auto accident, and made for a captive audience *. I'm not suggesting you create a similar circumstance for him! 😳 But perhaps you could catch him in a receptive mood -- or if he brought up a question about an incident in the films, which you could clarify with a relevant passage.

* She enjoyed both -- especially The Hobbit.
When I finished, she said "I like those hobbits. I'd like to have one". 😄
 
Hmmm... audiobooks. I have never asked if he'd be interested or not. I'll ask him later!😄
 
A possibility, although he might appreciate hearing it in your voice -- my Mom enjoyed hearing me doing the various "voices" -- and reading it aloud, something Tolkien once said he had in mind, as he wrote, gave me a deeper appreciation of the work. But this I leave to your judgment.

By the way, if he's not prepared to listen to a full audio book reading-- or yours -- you could try breaking him in with this dramatization:

 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…