• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Halloween Movies 🎃

Watched Beetlejuice last night, boy that's a fun movie. I've seen it many times before, but it never disappoints.
Yep, that's a hilarious "feel-good" movie... One of those "lightning captured in a bottle" movies that can never be improved upon. 😄
 
Going to watch "Night of the Demon" when I get home from class this evening.
I don't think I've watched it in the past 2 years, maybe longer.... Should be fun. 🙂

FWIW ... (and I may have posted this elsewhere)....
Martin Scorsese's favorite scary/horror movies.. 1) Order of listing dos not denote his preference of one over another, and 2) all are the original versions

The Haunting (1963)
Isle of the Dead ** (1945)
The Uninvited (1944)
The Entity (1982)
Dead of Night (1945, Ealing Studios-- "a British classic: four tales told by four strangers mysteriously gathered in a country house, each one extremely disquieting, climaxing with a montage in which elements from all the stories converge into a crescendo of madness.”)
The Changeling (1980)
The Shining (1980)
The Exorcist (1973)
Night of the Demon** (1957)
The Innocents (1961)
Psycho (1960)

**Both of these are on the same DVD
 
Night of the Demon is an amazing movie. Those others on the list too. The Shining is on my list for tonight and then maybe something Hammer
 
Well for my Halloween movie I just watched Hitchcock's Psycho. But is it a genuine Halloween movie or is it black comedy? A great film anyway. Maybe oddly I think the best part of the film is the lead up to Marion Crane pulling up outside the Bates Motel. How the music relates to Janet Leigh's increasing anxiety - and then there is an easing of tension in the music when she first meets harmless Norman. And it's so clever how the camera focusses on the money and then Norman casually throws it unknowing into the boot before dumping the car into the swamp.
 
I found this analysis on Youtube and thought it was very good at explaining the importance of the first part of the film - especially the close ups of Marion Crane as she drives from Phoenix.

 
Couldn't agree more. The film is brilliantly atmospheric with really unsettling characters - the demon just doesn't work that well. Though I suppose for the time it may have been more effective?
The studio insisted on it because physical monsters were still the big draw for horror movies **
Night of the Demon was made in 1954...It thought the picture would flop without a monster.

** Some well known examples....
The Thing (1951)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Them (1954)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Blob (1958)
Dracula with Chris Lee (1958)
The Fly (1958)
The Mummy (1959)

Go HERE for more horror movies of that era and see how many have "physical/material" monsters.
 
Last edited:
Always loved the Hammer Christopher Lee Draculas, though the sequels got a bit silly as time went on.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon is one of my favourites - it shows the actual creature/demon/bad guy but also keeps up the atmospherics as well.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…