- Joined
- Nov 30, 2004
- Messages
- 7,850

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is low-key already a horror movie 🙃These are fun
Yep, that's a hilarious "feel-good" movie... One of those "lightning captured in a bottle" movies that can never be improved upon. 😄Watched Beetlejuice last night, boy that's a fun movie. I've seen it many times before, but it never disappoints.
Night of the Demon is an amazing movie. Those others on the list too. The Shining is on my list for tonight and then maybe something HammerGoing to watch "Night of the Demon" when I get home from class this evening.
I don't think I've watched it in the past 2 years, maybe longer.... Should be fun. 🙂
FWIW ... (and I may have posted this elsewhere)....
Martin Scorsese's favorite scary/horror movies.. 1) Order of listing dos not denote his preference of one over another, and 2) all are the original versions
The Haunting (1963)
Isle of the Dead ** (1945)
The Uninvited (1944)
The Entity (1982)
Dead of Night (1945, Ealing Studios-- "a British classic: four tales told by four strangers mysteriously gathered in a country house, each one extremely disquieting, climaxing with a montage in which elements from all the stories converge into a crescendo of madness.”)
The Changeling (1980)
The Shining (1980)
The Exorcist (1973)
Night of the Demon** (1957)
The Innocents (1961)
Psycho (1960)
**Both of these are on the same DVD
I found this analysis on Youtube and thought it was very good at explaining the importance of the first part of the film - especially the close ups of Marion Crane as she drives from Phoenix.Well for my Halloween movie I just watched Hitchcock's Psycho. But is it a genuine Halloween movie or is it black comedy? A great film anyway. Maybe oddly I think the best part of the film is the lead up to Marion Crane pulling up outside the Bates Motel. How the music relates to Janet Leigh's increasing anxiety - and then there is an easing of tension in the music when she first meets harmless Norman. And it's so clever how the camera focusses on the money and then Norman casually throws it unknowing into the boot before dumping the car into the swamp.
Couldn't agree more. The film is brilliantly atmospheric with really unsettling characters - the demon just doesn't work that well. Though I suppose for the time it may have been more effective?After seeing the actual Demon I was against having the Demon in the movie too.....totally unnecessary .
The studio insisted on it because physical monsters were still the big draw for horror movies **Couldn't agree more. The film is brilliantly atmospheric with really unsettling characters - the demon just doesn't work that well. Though I suppose for the time it may have been more effective?
Always loved the Hammer Christopher Lee Draculas, though the sequels got a bit silly as time went on.The studio insisted on it because physical monsters were still the big draw for horror movies **
Night of the Demon was made in 1954...It thought the picture would flop without a monster.
** Some well known examples....
Dracula with Chris Lee (1958)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
The Thing (1951)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Blob (1958)
Them (1954)
Go HERE for more horror movies of that era and see how many have "physical/material" monsters.