• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Help me translate Faramir's quote to 🧝Elvish

Joined
Mar 13, 2026
Messages
2
The quote is from the book.
In the movies we can only hear it being sung in Elvish as a tribute to the novel.

The quote says:
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

In the movie, for it to rhyme in Elvish, they changed it to:
"I love the homeland which they defend."

I'm want the Elvish, but to stick to "I love only that which they defend".
Using AI to guide me through the translation, I was suggested www.tecendil.com
I went with the font Artano, and chose mode English.
I hope I didn't generate gibberish, so I came here to ask for help.

1773425761448.png
 
Welcome. . . and you might be well aware of this, but just to check, what you have (at the moment) is Tecendil's attempt at the English quote (the language is English), written with Elvish letters.

Is that what you want? Nothing wrong with that, if it's indeed correct. I'll let an actual expert (not me) check the transcription in full, if so,

I realize that you said you chose "mode English" — but you also refer to this being sung in Elvish, for example, and so, as I say, Tecendil is trying to give you a transcription, not a translation.

🐾
 
Welcome. . . and you might be well aware of this, but just to check, what you have (at the moment) is Tecendil's attempt at the English quote (the language is English), written with Elvish letters.

Is that what you want? Nothing wrong with that, if it's indeed correct. I'll let an actual expert (not me) check the transcription in full, if so,

I realize that you said you chose "mode English" — but you also refer to this being sung in Elvish, for example, and so, as I say, Tecendil is trying to give you a transcription, not a translation.

🐾
I want the translation (like the choir sang in the movie), not the transcription.
Would this be the correct one, then...?

Tecendil screenshot.png
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Back
Top