• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

help what is the difference between 🧌orcs and goblins

C

confused_jrrt

Guest
Hi,

I was just wondering what is different between orcs and goblins, cuz in lotr is says that sauruman cross orcs with goblin men, so they must be different things right.
 
Hmm, there's also a significant quote from CT in the HoME series (Return of the Shadow- don't remember the volume number) where he describes how his father went from using Goblin primarily (in The Hobbit and drafts for early chapters in tLotR) to Orc. As I am embarrassingly without books right now, all I can do is direct those that have them. I think the passage comes somewhere in the first draft of The Shadow of the Past.

Ooh, delved into U vs U-h and came up with several citations, though unfortunately no quotes:

HoME VI p.437 note 35 (p. 443), p. 462 note 2
HoME VII p.193 and p.205 note 5.

I didn't see these quote anywhere in the above two threads, and I've been dying to draw attentiong to them.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top