• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How can I make a complete Hobbit family tree???

Idril Celebrindal

Exile of Gondolin
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
666
Does anyone know if it is possible to combine all of the hobbit family trees (Bagginses, Gamgees, Brandybucks, Tooks, Bolgers, Hornblowers...) into one? I have tried and found this very difficult as they constantly intersect at different points (i.e. a Baggins at one side of the tree marries a Bolger on the other side) and I keep ending with extremely long lines, so that the whole thing end up looking like a bowl of spaghetti instead of a family tree. I have had this issue with the trees of men and elves, but in the hobbit family trees it just gets ridiculous. Has anyone tried making a hobbit family tree? If you have the solution please let me know, I really need it.
 
Solution
From what I am understanding, you are working this out on paper? I would recommend a digital solution like Milanote or other similar tools. I recall that there was a popular "Relation-Tracking-Tool" for Pen and Paper Games, but I don't recall the name. If I remember correctly, there was an option to display the diagram in 3 Dimensions, which could help with your intersections.

On a more general note, I would think, that these intersections are completely normal in a realistic family tree, that tries to keep track of everyone related. Most of the time, family trees try to show some form of continuity in a 'Bloodline' that just doesn't exist in humans. If you tracked your family tree back some 200 to 250 years, there have to...
From what I am understanding, you are working this out on paper? I would recommend a digital solution like Milanote or other similar tools. I recall that there was a popular "Relation-Tracking-Tool" for Pen and Paper Games, but I don't recall the name. If I remember correctly, there was an option to display the diagram in 3 Dimensions, which could help with your intersections.

On a more general note, I would think, that these intersections are completely normal in a realistic family tree, that tries to keep track of everyone related. Most of the time, family trees try to show some form of continuity in a 'Bloodline' that just doesn't exist in humans. If you tracked your family tree back some 200 to 250 years, there have to be at least, 1024 People related to you 10 Generations removed. A number doubling for every generation added. If you lived in a town with 1000 people, which absolute population never changed, you could calculate the chances of your ancestors being blood related, which would go on to be one. If you want to avoid these, I am afraid you have to play by the rules of family trees; which is focussing on the origin of one person, or 'nuclear family' and exclude everyone beyond a certain grade of relation.
 
Solution
Thanks! I've managed to include the Baggins, Brandybuck, Took and Gamgee families. but had to emit the Bolgers and Boffins.
IMG_20240806_094118_460.jpg
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top