• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How did you celebrate Hobbit Day?

Early on the 22nd (about 01:30 [AM] ) .... sat outside on my [east-facing] front porch , smoking my Churchwarden, while "Away high in the East swung Remmirath, the Netted Stars, and slowly above the mists red Borgil rose, glowing like a jewel of fire. Then by some shift of airs all the mist was drawn away like a veil, and there leaned up, as he climbed over the rim of the world, the Swordsman of the Sky, Menelvagor with his shining belt."
The only thing missing was ..."Elves all burst[ing] into song." :-D
Other than that it was pretty cool. In fact it was very cool.
 
Last edited:
As to how I spent Hobbit Day, well..
First, I spent it working. Hobbits were always diligent at their work, of course. Unless they were feasting or deciding not to work instead.

Then, I spent it driving one of the cars, to be sure repairs were done properly and it didn't fall apart at the first right turn to the rear when going forward by looking in the rear-view morror. (May explain why the transmission became scrap metal to begin with, who knows.)

That said, it seems to drive well - so I made arrangements to sell it. (Arrangements still in the works.) It's time to downsize the number of vehicles we own and pay insurance on. Retirement looms ,you know.

After that, I boiled some eggs in stagnant water from the pool at the entrance to Moria. (The Watcher was willing to lend me a little without too much negotiation.) Followed by a little down time watching the 'news' relating to the latest murder and mayhem afoot among the Orcs, Men, and other creatures inhabiting our news networks lately as 'the common fare' of daily life. (Though of course, 'crime is decreasing' according to the preferred line we're being fed by the thought-agents.)

Then I slept, secure in the knowledge little is secure, but current conditions are not forever.

Other than that, I don't recall much. Once it is 'yesterday' the memories fade fast. There's always repetition - with but little change to the players involved.

"Days of our Lives" and "As the Stomache Churns", you know.
 
Preferably with lemon poppyseed muffins or cake. And coffee to go with it. Didn't pick any up in advance this year though, so I went without.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top