I believe the 'racist comments' complaints come from a very small, isolated group with loud voices.
And I believe that same small group goes everywhere they can get to, braying the same things.
Like anything 'sensational' it is 'touted and heralded' by supposed "talking heads" and becomes much bigger than it really is.
And frankly, it was to be expected, in these times in which we live.
I do not know the situation with the 'Rotten Tomatoes'. Are they a paid bunch? If so they may be beholden to 'the source of money'. Are they same repetitive group of folk hoping to keep their position as a 'rotten tomatoe' critic? then there's motivation and leverage from that.
Additionally, they may well be told what criteria they must use... have a specific routine set of (written) things they seek out to objectivize in a thing, or are just more skilled at isolating parts from a whole then bringing the parts together for evaluation. That is, a 'developed skillset' brought to bear on the situation.
The 'wider audience' is going to use no set of criteria other than their own personal preferences and feelings.
The history of 'polls' and 'ratings' given in any situation clearly shows that the people who tend to comment are going to be largely those who are DISSATISFIED, rather than those who are satisfied.
The 2nd largest, trailing by far, are the Highly Satisfied.
Then there's the rest. The greatest bunch, always. They normally say nothing. And in this case, given that (for the most part) anyone 'in favor of' or 'neutral' about
RoP tends to be pretty well ostracized, they will be even quieter than their normal dead silence.
Wrapping that into RoP, I can hardly imagine anyone being "Highly Satisfied". I can imagine the many middle-of-the-roaders, not showing up. But the naysayers and negative nellies will ALWAYS show up. It's their nature - and they attract one another like flies to rotten meat.
CONCLUSION:
I personally see in these numbers to be exactly what would be expected all the way around - though I do wish I knew more about the Rotten Tomatoes' criteria, methodology and makeup.