• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How does the Black Breath affect someone?

Celeb is right, it is just being in the presence. Certainly all the men of Gondor did not recieve Morgul wounds, and all were terrified in the presence of the Nazgul. Faramir had also not recieved a Morgul would and was almost killed by the Black Breath. I believe the only character to recieve such a wound was Frodo.
 
I'm pretty sure you guys are right.
But what does Foster mean when he says "Athelas was an effective remedy"? I suppose that Athelas could be used to revive someone who was 'knocked' unconscious by the Black Breath, but how?
 
I've always believed that athelas acted in this situation rather as smelling salts does. There is a brief passage (I think in FoTR, possibly when Frodo is stabbed), where it says something along the lines of Aragorn breathing on the Athelas, then crushing it and an invigorating scent arising from it which made the hobbits feel better. Sorry, books not to hand so I can't give the exact quote.
After all, there's also the fact that aromatherapy has been around for a long time, even if not called by that name, so there's no reason for Tolkien not to have been aware that some medicinal herbs also have beneficial scents.
 
Well the Black Breath is something that invokes fear and termoil on one's soul, spirit, fea, whatever it is. Athelas is a plant that clears one's soul, spirit, fea, whatever, from all the problems and fears you have. It's quite simple to see how effecteve an elixer it could be.

The Black Breath is the Nazgûl's fear put into an aura, and targeted at someone. Athelas is a weed that's scent is made to remove all fear and pain from people through some wierd phsycotheraputic therapy of some sort.

It's a match made in heaven!

I hope that all made sense...

EDIT---->>> Any time that I said Sould, spirit, fea, or whatever up there in my post, I change it to Mind
 
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the mind (brain) and the fëa (soul) are different things, even within Tolkien's works..
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…