
Not the passage in view."Of the Flight of the Noldor"
It is true Maiar are of the Ainur. However, they are of 'lesser power'... a lower order.
"The Flight of the Noldor" is from The Silmarillion. It contains the only text that refers to the Balrogs coming to his aid, which I quoted.Not the passage in view.
Look to SIL where Ungoliant nearly has Melkor trapped and is about to snack on him, and he cries out for help. (After they destroy the trees and he won't give her what she wants.)
The Balrogs are said to "fly to his aid' or language very similar to that hearing his cry.
This is the passage most people cite saying 'they have to have had wings.' But it's figurative language, as is pointed out above someplace by someone else.
I believe the exact passage was even cited for us. Don't have time to look back up, sorry..
Indeed, I just checked my current digital version of SIL and you are correct as cited.It contains the only text that refers to the Balrogs coming to his aid,
They 100% are. Balrogs are Maiar. Maiar are Ainur.
I mean they descended from beyond the circles of Arda. That's...kind of like flying.I'm digging through my sapwood cells, and can't find any place where the Maiar 'flew' in there. (Though this is not 'proof of concept' by any means.)
I always take a step back when I see 'implies'... and I"m not sure 'came in a whirlwind of fire' is the same as 'flying'. All the balrogs we hear of are firmly planted on the ground, using darkess and fear as their primary weapon...including the 'spreading of shadow 'looking like wings' until it stretched wall to wall' in the case of one. (It's true, he also breathed fire and his mane was fire, so he could be said to have 'come in a whirlwind of fire'... but all around him was darkness, much more so than the fire, a careful reading of the passage shows.)
Sauron certainly never flew. Gandalf never flew. Saruman never flew. Not sure I can see the 'lesser maiar' as having flown, either.
I can't overcome the clear language of Tolkien, including his 'figurative language', by potential inferences and implications.
I'll need to search out the passages you have in view sir @ZehnWaters and see what the language says to me.
Can you provide locations of one or two for me, or close enough to what they say I can find them in a 'search' ?
Thanks.
Is it? Seems it could be viewed either way considering how they're stated to move and how swiftly they would have needed to travel considering the distance.The quote misses the part about "with winged speed", which is detailed in the video I posted. But that too is a metaphor.
Sauron turned into a Vampire and flew away, if memory serves but I'd need to read the passage again.
Correct. What JRRT wrote is not what was published in Christopher's amalgamation of a book.Indeed, I just checked my current digital version of SIL and you are correct as cited.
"Passing over hithlum" is the way it reads now without the reference to 'winged speed'.
Yet @Glorfindel Goldtress' post is what's in my memory.
I wonder if there have been multiple versions of SIL published and this was changed....I had an older one but just let it go the way of books made from trees. This is the reading in my mind.
I'll put this on my research list too.
And I'll need to adjust the contents of my memory.
Either way, neither "with winged speed" or "passed over hithlum" imply wings.
I'll resolve the multiple publications issue later.
Yes, Tolkien used plenty of metaphors in his writing. I posted a video on here explaining in further detail.Is it?
If you look at HoMe volumes 6 to 9, JRRT wrote a lot there that was not published by himself in LotR. As Tom Shippey points out, these volumes are a cautionary tale for some all-too-romantic ideas about how (some) authors' works hailed as strokes of genius in their final form actually came about.Correct. What JRRT wrote is not what was published in Christopher's amalgamation of a book.
Except his brief stint in the Sil, but we will conveniently disregard that.Sauron certainly never flew
Of The Flight of the Noldor
As I stated on the main thread:But couldn't the Balrog fly up if he had wings? Why did he choose to fall down?