• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How have you been affected by Tolkien and his literary works?

The first thing is kinda practical for me - I'm a fic writer, and people sometimes complain (lovingly) about my neverending sentences. But then I look at some of Tolkien's sentences and I'm like "I'm really in good company here". Tolkien also makes me feel better about writing self-insert stuff from time to time since he said he's a lot like Faramir (IIRC).

Aside from that, since I tend to align with the bad guys more (I've always liked villains better than heroes) I do often wonder what Sauron could and should have done differently. This has served as inspiration for me for other fics I've written where the villain gets a second chance to implement his plan, and this time it works because he avoids the mistakes he made the first time.

I do also like Sam (despite being Team Sauron), and I've always loved his idea of "I can't carry the ring but I can carry YOU". That scene just stuck with me from the moment I saw it in the movie. It's such an interesting idea to me and I love how it's being implemented both literally and figuratively. This is the kind of stuff that inspires me as a fic writer.

And... I love Minas Morgul. It fascinated me from the moment I saw it. I'd love to visit. I wish the movies had showed us the inside. If I had to choose a place to live, Minas Morgul it would be. I know I'm probably weird. lol
 
I know I'm probably weird.
My dear @The Witch-king Of Angmar - you are indeed 'weird'* in at least one respect.

*weird: definition: of strange, unusual or extraordinary character

Having read your post, I note something with great pleasure.
Only one "that" appears in it... and it's a 'proper that' too, having a precedent target referenced, and is followed by an identifying (target) noun as well..!

This gives me great pleasure, and hope for your writing. (Sorry, I tend to observe writing and writers closely.)

We have a thread here... "What Writing projects Are You Working On Right Now?" Intended as a bit of an encouragement and learning thread for those who write.

Please feel free to participate as you see fitting (or not).

Yes, Tolkien was well versed in 'length' in many ways. Unfortunately, he had a fondness for "that" - many of them improper - but his skill with syntax and word choice goes a long ways toward forgiveness for his "that" offenses.
 
My dear @The Witch-king Of Angmar - you are indeed 'weird'* in at least one respect.

*weird: definition: of strange, unusual or extraordinary character

Having read your post, I note something with great pleasure.
Only one "that" appears in it... and it's a 'proper that' too, having a precedent target referenced, and is followed by an identifying (target) noun as well..!

This gives me great pleasure, and hope for your writing. (Sorry, I tend to observe writing and writers closely.)

We have a thread here... "What Writing projects Are You Working On Right Now?" Intended as a bit of an encouragement and learning thread for those who write.

Please feel free to participate as you see fitting (or not).

Yes, Tolkien was well versed in 'length' in many ways. Unfortunately, he had a fondness for "that" - many of them improper - but his skill with syntax and word choice goes a long ways toward forgiveness for his "that" offenses.
Why thank you! English is not my native language, so, writing in English is even more of a challenge for me than it would be for a native speaker. But I'm glad you approve!

I did notice that Tolkien has a unique writing style, yes. I would never even try to copy it in any way - however, I must admit to using a "hey, Tolkien's sentences were endless as well sometimes" excuse from time to time. It's more of an indirect influence he has on me, but it's an influence nonetheless.
 
I'm curious how exposure to Tolkien's works has influenced each person.

Our unique makeup as people naturally lends us to each having a different experience, and I'm quite sure someone will say something I didn't expect. 😁

I would love for you to share a couple examples of Tolkien's effect on you. A few categories to get you started, in no way comprehensive:
- Personal character, values or philosophy (like hope against all odds, the importance of friendship, bit of a Luddite?)
- Vocation (writer is an obvious one here, but let's not rule out the growing of pipe weed as an outlier here)
- Interests (like linguistics, mythology, or even more physical interests like archery or hiking volcanic mountains 🤪)

My own response:
In my younger life, although I was already a nature person, Tolkien gave me a deeper love for nature, especially trees. I had a very close relationship with my climbing tree that really got me through some grief-laden circumstances in my childhood. And even as an adult, my relationship with the land around me has pulled me through depression and heartache like nothing else. Nature is of course a great healer, but I notice that my approach to it is deeper and more.. hmm... anthropomorphic, perhaps, compared to other people I know.

I also learned to value physical grit in pursuit of what is good. The legendary run of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, and Sam and Frodo's journey made me do a lot of hard things as a younger person that I might not have done otherwise.

Lest I go on and make this post wearisome, I'll turn the floor over to y'all.
I would have to say as an artist who creates from the heart, Tolkien really gave me a beautiful body of work to bounce some of my own creativity off of. I don't typically make Tolkien-based artwork, I usually only do it for fun aside from being a muralist and illustrator. But when I do, it feels like a beautiful little collaboration between us. It almost feels like he is sitting next to me, describing a scene with a character his mind has conjured in a tale he had just thought of.
 
1. I started writing in English
2. I have a really impressive collection of Tolkien editions (over 100 books)
3. I started drawing more (Tolkien's characters, of course)
4. I got another obsession besides Batman
Expanding your obsessions is always a good thing.
You don't want to run out of "obsessions". 😉
 
Last edited:
Tolkien is the author, that made me read in the first place. At least he was the first and for about two years the only author whose works I read, after my mother (unsuccessfully) urged my for years, when I was an early teen, to pick up reading as she was concerned I might lack behind in reading and writing skills when compared to my peers.

The Lord of the Rings completely shaped my taste in music. Before reading it (I was thirteen at the time), I didn't really have a music taste, nor was I interested in developing one. I was content with what played on the radio most of the time, and that was that. Afterwards, a friend, whom I talked to about my new fantasy obsession, introduced me to medieval style music like Schandmaul (German Band), which resonated really well with me and from there I slowly started finding my way through different genres and became a folk and metal fan.

I was told, that I changed as a person after starting to read Tolkien. That may be attributed to puberty itself, but I think, that Tolkien's works really had an impact on what kind of person I became in later years, even though I can't point out, which part of me specifically. And you could say even my body was affected by Tolkien, since I got the Tolkien Symbol tattooed on my right forearm.
 
Interesting; many people -- and I include myself -- have found themselves changed by reading Tolkien, sometimes in ways they can't fully identify.

As for music, he had a big impact on musicians of different genres, and conversely, on the ways his readers "hear" music. In fact, we (ahem) have a thread:
Though that's one of several.

Here's another, with a different approach:

And welcome to the forum, @Eldacarion! If you'd like to introduce yourself "formally", and say something more about your specific interests, don't forget our New Members forum. 🙂
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top