• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

I have questions. Does anybody have answers?

Ricardo

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2025
Messages
347
1) Where did the phial that Galadriel gave to Frodo come from?

The phial didn't reflect light, it emitted light, the light of the silmaril, which means the light of the trees. Was Galadriel powerful/crafty enough to do that? Looks similar to what Feanor did with the silmarils themselves, but Feanor never told anyone how he made them.



Maybe Celebrimbor? or maybe Earendil after the war of the wrath?



2) The silmarils were hallowed by Varda and no mortal or evil hands could touch them without burning. Beren being the only mortal that could touch them.



So, how did the dwarves of Nogrod manage to engage the silmaril in the Nauglamir? Could they do it with tools? would tools protect them? I don't think gloves would be enough.



And clearly, after killing Thingol they were double-banned, mortal and evil.
 
1) Where did the phial that Galadriel gave to Frodo come from?

Galadriel says she's prepared a gift for Frodo, and I take this to mean she crafted it with preservation power — considering Galadriel's innate talents enhanced by her ring (Nenya, Ring of Water) — she thus preserves the starlight as reflected in the water of her Mirror.

As I imagine it, her phial contains the very water that reflected this light. Not forgetting what her Mirror alone could do!

Anyway, I don't know how many times I've posted this in the past, but. . .

. . . Galadriel!
 
Galadriel says she's prepared a gift for Frodo, and I take this to mean she crafted it with preservation power — considering Galadriel's innate talents enhanced by her ring (Nenya, Ring of Water) — she thus preserves the starlight as reflected in the water of her Mirror.

As I imagine it, her phial contains the very water that reflected this light. Not forgetting what her Mirror alone could do!

Anyway, I don't know how many times I've posted this in the past, but. . .

. . . Galadriel!
it makes sense, the only correction is I don't think it was just starlight, was the star of Earendil, e.g. the Silmaril
 
it makes sense, the only correction is I don't think it was just starlight, was the star of Earendil, e.g. the Silmaril

Galadriel refers to the light of Earendil's "star", thus starlight seems to me a correct word — but in any case, I chose the word carefully in further consideration of Tolkien's Dark And Light, text 1B, published in The Nature of Middle-Earth, which touches on the matter of the planet Venus.

🐾
 
1) Where did the phial that Galadriel gave to Frodo come from?
I've always assumed it has come from Vailnor when Noldors came to M.E.
Along with Palantirs and other cool stuff.

And I don't think it's unique vial.
Wasn't Voronwe had one when he was in the caves near Gondolin with Tuor (in Unfinished Tales)?
Or the guards.. can't recall, but it doesn't really matter.

So I think that vial is a special item indeed, but it's not an artifact or relic, and you could find it on some Noldors in their equipment.
 
Along with Palantirs and other cool stuff.
The Palantíri were not brought to Middle-earth by the Ñoldorin Exiles. They were brought from Númenor by Elendil, whose father Amandil had received them as a gift of the Elves of Aman.
And I don't think it's unique vial.
Wasn't Voronwe had one when he was in the caves near Gondolin with Tuor (in Unfinished Tales)?
Or the guards.. can't recall, but it doesn't really matter.

So I think that vial is a special item indeed, but it's not an artifact or relic, and you could find it on some Noldors in their equipment.
You are talking about the Fëanorian lamps. They are described as “crystals hung in a fine chain net, the crystals being ever shining with an inner blue radiance”, and it is said that of them the Ñoldor themselves did not know the secret; the phial of Galadriel, however, is described as shining with “rays of white light”, and Galadriel, judging by her words to Frodo, seems to know how it was made and indeed probably made it herself in the way described above by Elthir.
 
"In this phial," she said, "is caught the light of Earendil's star, set amid the waters of my fountain. It will shine still brighter when night is about you. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out. Remember Galadriel and her Mirror!"

Galadriel, Farewell to Lórien

And earlier in the story (The Mirror of Galadriel), Galadriel had filled her mirror with water from a stream from a fountain on a hill.

that's what my opinion is based on, anyway
 
Indeed, and the rising of the "evening star' is intentional in the earlier scene.

My one quibble, Elthir, is with "hill"; the direction they walk to the Mirror is down, as befits a scene of katabasis. There's a similar feeling in its demonic parody in the Dead Marshes.
 
My one quibble, Elthir, is with "hill"; the direction they walk to the Mirror is down, as befits a scene of katabasis. There's a similar feeling in its demonic parody in the Dead Marshes.
The hill is referred to in the text:
Turning aside, she led them towards the southern slopes of the hill of Caras Galadhon, and passing through a high green hedge they came into an enclosed garden. No trees grew there, and it lay open to the sky. The evening star had risen and was shining with white fire above the western woods. Down a long flight of steps the Lady went into the deep green hollow, through which ran murmuring the silver stream that issued from the fountain on the hill. At the bottom, upon a low pedestal carved like a branching tree, stood a basin of silver, wide and shallow, and beside it stood a silver ewer (LotR/361, emphasis added).
 
The Palantíri were not brought to Middle-earth by the Ñoldorin Exiles. They were brought from Númenor by Elendil, whose father Amandil had received them as a gift of the Elves of Aman.

You are talking about the Fëanorian lamps. They are described as “crystals hung in a fine chain net, the crystals being ever shining with an inner blue radiance”, and it is said that of them the Ñoldor themselves did not know the secret; the phial of Galadriel, however, is described as shining with “rays of white light”, and Galadriel, judging by her words to Frodo, seems to know how it was made and indeed probably made it herself in the way described above by Elthir.
Oh... I stand corrected.
Thanks mate for exact quotes...

Still.. I am thinking... if Feanorian lamps and Galadriel vial have basically similar use (Galadriel is much powerful of course).. I wonder.. if Noldors have carried with them some substance that they can create such things in ME.

Not trying to defend my theory (you already gave insight to whatever info is available) ... just thinking loudly.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top