I am on a diet.
Where we find a 'carelessness' in writing the MOVIE script itself, this is certainly a 'blunder.'it has to do with carelessness when writing the script.
I don't have a problem with people liking the movies, I would never tell people what to like or what to not like, I just express my opinion.
@Ent Just out of curiosity, what dictionary do you use when you are providing these definitions?*Blunder Definitions:
1: to move unsteadily or confusedly
2: to make a mistake through stupidity, ignorance, or carelessness
**Story definition:
1. an account*** of past events in someone's life or in the evolution of something.
2. an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment.
***Account definition:
A report or description of an event or experience.
Multiple. I review Oxford, Cambridge, Collins, Websters (usually with a slightly skeptical eye, though at times Websters hits things more succinctly and directly than others), Dictionary.com, and sometimes even ask AI for a general rendering from its review of all its various sources to compare its summary with my own..what dictionary do you use
oh how very interesting. I'll peek into this. Thanks for another on my 'to research' list..!!!
(. . .) Dwarf women are non-existent in Tolkien's published work (I think).
I stand corrected on that one.Dís is mentioned in Appendix A, at least.
For me there is a difference between altering a text or scene and making a change (whether it's adding something, removing something or changing something) that makes the plot wrong, inconsistent, both very common in the movie (again, I have a long list of examples).Where we find a 'carelessness' in writing the MOVIE script itself, this is certainly a 'blunder.'
However, my questions come when our 'blunders' are directed at a 'difference from Tolkien's text, or characters, or events as written by Tolkien.'
I do not see such as a blunder, as there was never an intent to adhere strictly to Tolkien's text.
I think this particular mistake is understandable. I myself didn't realize about that. But again, adhering strictly to the text is not what I expect, but changing the context of the story is not acceptable IMO. They are using Tolkien's name and Tolkien's work titles, they should respect Tolkien's intent and I fully expect that.Some would say PJ's use of "shall not" vs. "cannot" is a 'blunder' due to it's second definition* below.
This comment ASSUMES or EXPECTS - (both of which are a problem) - there was INTENT to adhere to the text. There never was.
The change does massive injustice to Tolkien's INTENT, but the adaptation was not of Tolkien's Words, or of Tolkien's Intent, but of Tolkien's 'story.'** And 'story' is a very broad term.
well for me this fall in the second point, carelessness. In Peter Jackson's defense this fact wasn't stated in LOTR but in the much more obscure War of the Jewels, that's why I consider it minor.*Blunder Definitions:
1: to move unsteadily or confusedly
2: to make a mistake through stupidity, ignorance, or carelessness
Here you are mixing different things. Some are acceptable, some are not.Even with definition #2 of blunder above, the question is: "what is a 'mistake'"? That, too, requires some measuring stick.
Many try to apply the measuring stick of Tolkien's words, character development, precise meaning, or exacting event correlation as the measure, etc.
This is just not the case. The ONLY criteria was to be "an adaptation of Tolkien's STORY."
Again, there isn't a one size fits all here, it depends on the story or the account and how they do it. In many cases they did it wrong.**Story definition:
1. an account*** of past events in someone's life or in the evolution of something.
2. an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment.
***Account definition:
A report or description of an event or experience.
I said it was minor, but when there so many you either become complacent or react to even minors problems in the narrative.I mean, even if we go back to the original post, and then review the response by @Elthir, we see the original thing called a 'blunder' was perhaps missing just a few elements needing to be considered in the full grasp of the statement made.
there are plenty examples about that. And in the case of the Hobbit practically 80% of the movies.It would be perfectly fine to say PJ 'blundered' where he was messing up details of and within his own story.
not about matching it precisely, it's about contradicting it.But we cannot say he 'blundered' because his recounting of Tolkien's story doesn't match Tolkien's account precisely. The expectation is that it intended to. It simply didn't.
I can't comment on that. The wizard of Oz was never among my favorites.Even decades ago, when I did my website on the massive differences between L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz, and the MGM 1939 movie, I could not refer to any of the differences as "blunders" unless they were mistakes made by the movie producers. (Of which there were also quite a few, and these were 'blunders'. They were also handled differently, on the website.)
Isn't that the purpose of the forum? to exchange ideas, opinions, information. If we all agree on everything and knew everything it would be boring.But my dear @Ricardo - we can agree to disagree. I sense both of us feel quite justified in the perspectives we hold, and neither of us sees a route to a change. This, too, is fine.
Above all, this is the comment you make I appreciate most, and am thrilled by:
As long as we grasp the truth all are entitled to their opinion - and more especially, to their perspective (the two are not the same) - we can all be "happy campers."
ADAPTATION DEFINITION: the act of changing something to make it suitable for a new purpose or situation
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?