So here is my humble opinion..
I've already write same things many times on this forum, but here it is, concise, and all in one place...
(pardon me, I am a bit drunk, so there might be a lots of grammar (or logical) mistakes.
But I will give my best to stay 100% accurate.
THE GOOD:
1) Weta studio did amazing job with 3D effects. I am personally involved (it's my living) in FX, and even I know how I could do these effects now (for example
Balrog), I do not know how they did it so PERFECTLY back then... actually.. I know.... but that is so freaking hard (making particles behaving like fluid simulation),But somehow they did it. Kudos!
So... Effects are nearly PERFECT... all 3D + practical effects combination is PERFECT (except
Legolas sliding through Oliphant nose (that is just too cheesy)
2) The costumes were perfect. How
orcs looks, the way the Rochirims
armor looks.. the
Hobbits... everything...
3) Action Sequences? The
battles were VERY WELL done... I mean really...
Watcher in the water? It's a perfect scene...
Troll scene? Another very good action scene. Balrog? Even better. I am still amazed how these scenes are made, and want to find out who is responsible.
THE BAD:
Ruining the characters;
1)
Gandalf - Instead of very sharp, impatient (because of other's stupidity) , most intelligent guy, and very willing to get his hand dirty... we got "good old grampa" Gandalf... very interesting in the
books, very borring in the movies..
2)
Aragorn - instead of very sharp guy, waiting his chance to become a leader, we got guy that is unsure of himself.
3)
Denethor - I imagine him as a wise guy... in the movie.. he is lunatic
4)
Faramir - Do I need to say anything here? I don't think so.
- So all in all.. only 2 characters..
Bilbo and
Boromir is a correct in movie.
THE
EVIL:
Ruining the whole point of the story.:
1) One of the point of LOTR was "Hobbits grew".
We don't see it in the end (just retarded jumping on bed sequence).
2)
Frodo's wound never heal.. the evil that was upon him, will never be fixed in mortal world - we don't see that point also
3)
Sam is the greatest hero.
He is the only one, who had so little self ambition, that even ring couldn't hold him up.. and only one who had the strength to give back ring to Frodo.