Tyelkormo the Fair
Elite
- Joined
- Feb 7, 2023
- Messages
- 4,985
I didn't derail my own thread this time though!A lot certainly can be attributed to the worldviews of Tolkien and Rowling. It does make a difference in the themes and morals-- the variability within the work being dependent on the author; hence we read something as "good" or "bad" because our worldview may be similar, different, or the worldview is just universal. Now, this is all very philosophical and flounders into what Ent would call the Religion of Opinion. And, unsurprisingly, another successful derailment of a thread from the actual topic has taken place! TTF, Part 103802893. 😂
A lot certainly can be attributed to the worldviews of Tolkien and Rowling. It does make a difference in the themes and morals-- the variability within the work being dependent on the author; hence we read something as "good" or "bad" because our worldview may be similar, different, or the worldview is just universal. Now, this is all very philosophical and flounders into what Ent would call the Religion of Opinion.
While people live, there's always hope for redemption. ☺️ Tolkien understood this. Rowling misses it.I agree with most of what Tolkien said. But I don't agree with everything Rowling says. Actually I consider marauders, Potters and Dumbledore awful people with no redemption. While she certainly doesn't view them as bad.
It does not make her books bad, though. But I am allowed to choose favorite characters, regardless of what author thinks
While people live, there's always hope for redemption. ☺️ Tolkien understood this. Rowling misses it.
But Favorite characters are favorite characters. And the Religion of Opinion will always remain.
Not all choose to be redeemed. Some reject the chance to repent, as we see time and time again in Tolkien's works. Morgoth, Sauron, Saruman, and Wormtongue are just several examples of those who were given multiple opportunities to repent, but they chose not to out of free will. Hence, they can never be redeemed because they rejected all chances of repenting. The same can be said about Rowling's characters, but Rowling does not portray such so well.Not all people can be redeemed.
The reason Snape became my favorite character was because he repented and turned from the dark side. He redeemed himself through his triple agency, ultimately having forsaken the side of evil. (Though I think his demeanor and some of the ways he behaved towards others did not help the perception of him; he could have done better. You have decided the ends justify the means, and again, 'tis the Religion of Opinion.)But as for Snape he was both kind (deep inside), selfless, loyal, responsible and smart. Good character and both a good person.
*cough cough your MBTI topic becoming the origin of the Cloning topic*I didn't derail my own thread this time though!
(Although I've done it before...👀)
Not all choose to be redeemed. Some reject the chance to repent, as we see time and time again in Tolkien's works. Morgoth, Sauron, Saruman, and Wormtongue are just several examples of those who were given multiple opportunities to repent, but they chose not to out of free will. Hence, they can never be redeemed because they rejected all chances of repenting. The same can be said about Rowling's characters, but Rowling does not portray such so well.
The reason Snape became my favorite character was because he repented and turned from the dark side. He redeemed himself through his triple agency, ultimately having forsaken the side of evil. (Though I think his demeanor and some of the ways he behaved towards others did not help the perception of him; he could have done better. You have decided the ends justify the means, and again, 'tis the Religion of Opinion.)
That's the one!😂😌*cough cough your MBTI topic becoming the origin of the Cloning topic*
The best sort of derailment ever!! Never regret it! 😂*cough cough your MBTI topic becoming the origin of the Cloning topic*
Never! 🦊The best sort of derailment ever!! Never regret it! 😂
By the way, the fox became my third favorite animal for this very reason! 😂 (Horses and cats, if you're wondering.)
I know! You said you like to watch videos of them laughing!By the way, the fox became my third favorite animal for this very reason! 😂 (Horses and cats, if you're wondering.)
I forgot I mentioned this, lol! But yes, I do indeed! Very cute and hilarious. ☺️I know! You said you like to watch videos of them laughing!
1. You have a tendency to make glaring assumptions. Who says anyone would "hate" you for holding an opinion? There isn't a human alive who doesn't hold... (many being basically driven by)... opinion rather than facts. and realities. Things are simply not 'black and white'. One can disagree with another without 'hatred' being involved. Clearly.And yes, you can hate me as much as you want, but I don't see anything bad in Snape's personality.
Though Ents say much, they do try to be compact in meaning.You managed to summarize what I tried to say in several post in one.
Aww, I am truly honored to be considered as inspiration in your book, Ent. *Bows* 😌I noted someone along the way (other than myself) made reference to The Religion of Opinion.
It was well employed, as the exchange in view highlights The Religion in action splendidly, and will feature in my book when the time comes. (Without associated identities revealed, and with slightly altered details, of course.)
Well I said it happens with most of people who dare to defend Snape. Anywhere, not just here. So I am used to it.1. You have a tendency to make glaring assumptions. Who says anyone would "hate" you for holding an opinion?
Fact is that some accusations were left without proofs. My opinion is based on facts. Fact is that Snape didn't do many things haters accuse him ofThere isn't a human alive who doesn't hold... (many being basically driven by)... opinion rather than facts. and realities. Things are simply not 'black and white'. One can disagree with another without 'hatred' being involved. Clearly.
I said. Two bad things he did was choosing to work for two monsters. The rest was almost harmless2. You confuse 'doing bad things' with 'being bad in personality.' I do not believe I said anything about Snape's personality. My reference was to his actions/behaviors. Snape was totally a product of circumstances, in my own "opinion" unable to rise above them. Do I see him as a hero? Not in the least. Do I see him as constantly struggling internally? Absolutely. Do I see him as being a bit tyrannical toward his students? Absolutely. Do I believe that may be a result of his own upbrining or social circumstances? Absolutely.
Yes I agree. Though he didn't abuse anyone. He just was strict and saying nasty stuff sometimes. I don't consider teachers like him something bad and I explained why. And your friend accused me of defending 'crazy teacher who can do anything to his students' or something like that. If you don't see aggression directed at me and my opinion, it's a hypocrisy.Inferiority often demonstrates itself by outward aggression... and this defines Snape, a tyrant to those he was able to 'lead' (dominate). That is, in his behavior. In his personality, he was far from a tyrant. He held, rather, somewhat an inferiority complex... thus his outward bravado and aggression toward others whom he could abuse when he held a position or opportunity to do so.
What bad things? Being not nice? Being sarcastic? I don't consider it 'bad'. And not good.Does this mean I hold Snape to have done many bad things, on a fairly regular basis? Oh yes indeed. At times, he definitely did. NOTE: 'did bad things.' Very different than the product he became, (his inward self, personality, whatever) of his social circumstances.
Yeah, and I don't like when it's implied I am supposed to shut up only because I dare to like a fictional characterYou see... it's all a matter of Opinion... and you are absolutely correct... we all are able to have our own.
Yes, and to get more agression for sharing an unpopular opinionNot something to argue over. Just something to share, with some reasons, for others to evaluate.
Yes. I hate what they did to Snape in movies. I was talking only about book version.Certainly, NEVER a reason for argument or ill feelings.
Note: the above is all based on my initial reading through the series years ago. It MAY be tainted by my memories from the films.. which were, of course, different in many respects.
Yeah. I've never hated Snape, now I love him. And consider many other characters badThus, as I re-read the series, it is being done with a view to improving my understanding of all facets involved. (Sadly, it just didn't hold enough interest for me early on, to go back to it yet. I do so now knowing a different perspective decades later may produce a different overall and specific result.)
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?