Gando replied: The much longer part after "Bu-hut" in that post listed reasons why JRRT might have felt a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of getting the Sil in order even at the time he wrote the original conversation, in the first edition, between
Bilbo and
Frodo at
Rivendell, well over a decade earlier.
Okay . . . but here I would also point to the flurry of writing
after Tolkien wrote this conversation, when Waldman showed interest in publishing
The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. In my opinion, shirly at this point, in the early 1950s, JRRT had not only not given up, but was inspired and heartened to get a version of QS in print.
By 1965, when he made the revisions for the second edition, he had already suffered countless interruptions to what was his supposed aim to bring the "work of his heart" to a publishable form, that revision necessitated by the Ace
books pirate paperback edition (and some egregious defects of US copyright law of the time) only having been the last to date.
There were certainly interruptions, and I think Tolkien meandered and arguably procrastinated, or got caught up in questions that didn't exactly help finish QS as an updated text, but anyway I agree with Christopher Tolkien that his father
"deeply wanted to finish it" [the Silmarillion], but
"couldn't" given the task Tolkien had chosen to involve himself in, in his later years -- in other words, yes, the work had become large and daunting, but not as large and daunting as recasting
Quenta Silmarillion itself "needed" to be, in my opinion. But that tangent aside for now . . .
. . . in any case,
"couldn't" is one thing (also in the interview with CJRT), especially after we know Tolkien
"didn't", but to my mind, giving up is a different
horse, and some of us humans might tend to think we have more time than we have. I'm
not saying you are necessarily wrong about this,
Gando, especially given your "most likely" in any case, only that I disagree. Plenty of folk have interpreted the external history as you do, some even claiming it points to JRRT not wanting to finish the work.
But perhaps the very late letter to Lord Halsbury (letter 353, 4 August 1973), for example, shows Tolkien once again (admittedly after losing confidence), being invigorated, arguably the more so in the hope that he might have help:
"When you retire I shall certainly beg you help.
Without it, I begin to feel I shall never produce any part of The Silmarillion."
Hmm. Who knows. And as this is roughly a month before Tolkien's passing, maybe the last sentence expresses a measure (arguably at least)
of "worry" -- in other words -- that Tolkien had not given up, but was "starting" to worry that the task may need helping hands and minds.
Also, apologies for my clipping of context above -- I was too much thinking of not going down this road in the thread about Christopher's passing. Although that said, I
should have "unlazily" quoted more/all of your post here! And I put it
here, given my argument that Tolkien's decision, as I see it, with respect to the Numenorean-Bilbo tradition, generally speaking and in my opinion, made Tolkien's task of finishing his QS "easier" in some respects.
🐾