Thorin said:I don't think so. I have always found Maggot to be fairly accurate in her explanations of characters either in the movie itself or as a book comparison.
One need not compare RotK Gandalf to the book to see the inconsistencies in character traits shown in the first two movies. However, unlike Maggot, Foe-Hammer's continual "Hey, the movie is great and the characters are great and improved upon by Jackson from that hack, Tolkien" attitude, shows serious bias that compromises reason, rationality and any sort of level headed objectivity concerning any of the characters.
If I compared the amount of Maggot's objective and positive comments concerning the movies and Foe-Hammer's even remote or friendly criticism of any thing in the movies, I would find the scales tipped massively in Maggot's favor. As a matter of fact, I have found FH has more comments against Tolkien then against Jackson. He is entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't make it more objective then Maggot or joxy's.
joxy said:But you still haven't told me what it was that you were inviting me to "see, above".
Thorin said:I don't think so. I have always found Maggot to be fairly accurate in her explanations of characters either in the movie itself or as a book comparison.
One need not compare RotK Gandalf to the book to see the inconsistencies in character traits shown in the first two movies. However, unlike Maggot, Foe-Hammer's continual "Hey, the movie is great and the characters are great and improved upon by Jackson from that hack, Tolkien" attitude, shows serious bias that compromises reason, rationality and any sort of level headed objectivity concerning any of the characters.
If I compared the amount of Maggot's objective and positive comments concerning the movies and Foe-Hammer's even remote or friendly criticism of any thing in the movies, I would find the scales tipped massively in Maggot's favor. As a matter of fact, I have found FH has more comments against Tolkien then against Jackson. He is entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't make it more objective then Maggot or joxy's.
joxy said:Badly, in both senses, of course, though they usually co-incide.
The Flight to the Ford is a clear concise account in the books; it's confusion from start to finish in the film.
Certainly all these, and most of the rest, including Faramir, have far more complex aspects than could ever be represented in the time available for the films. Again, the "you can't include everything" argument applies - we didn't expect that and we're satisfied not to have got it. PJ began very well with Faramir, with the capture of F&S, and particularly with The Forbidden Pool, which I think is one of the best scenes in the films, but inexplicably fell apart with the diversion to Osgiliath and the abrupt volte-face about letting S&F go free.
Obviously my opinion, but shared by many!Ol'gaffer said:But this is solely your opinion. Infact, I can safely predict that by this far watching the movie, you were so put off by some changes that you just hated the chase scene. And maybe you haven't noticed, but one cannot film a chase scene in a 'clear' way, meaning that you are most of the time in a wide shot and keep it intense and exciting.
....they are not exact with the book, because quite simply no adaptation could ever adapt them direct from the book.
Faramir....is so hard to create on screen as a working part of the movie.
joxy said:And again, PJ did NOT find it hard, at first, to create him on the screen - he began very well. It's the continuous various and fluctuations in him after that, as I said, after the Forbidden Pool, that are hard to account for.
I stopped trying to impress you long ago, Foe-Hammer.Foe-Hammer said:And am I surprised you find yourself in agreement with her comments since you are both basically of the same mind? That is no great feat. You want to impress me or anyone else, get people who are diametrically opposed with each other to agree and then you have accomplised something worth bragging about.
I take your point, but I have to question how much of those "finer points of screen writing" are included in these films"! I have the evidence of my ears and eyes to tell me that a lot of the writing is done with a very wide brush, and I have the comments by the writers themselves to confirm the idea! Subtle they are NOT.Foe-Hammer said:....all the finer points of screen writing....
joxy said:In reply to your strange tirade against me, directed to Thorin, which I won't descend to quote:
I've said that PJ has some "dark" corners in his mind. Listen to him on the EE extras and you'll hear him speaking from those corners - and being perfectly happy with, and even proud of, what he says.
I've said that occasionally PJ shows acts of incompetence in his films. Look at Faramir's cave from which most of the large, substantial, and very obvious props disappear betwen frames of the film.
I've said nothing about PJ "destroying the books". The idea is absurd; the books will long out-last the films.
Your comments are not a "summary of what you have read from joxy"; they're a summary of your own imaginings.
I have never "bashed" the films; I have often praised parts of them, and have mildlypointed out the faults in other parts of them.
He doesn't need this, but I haven't seen Foe-Hammer doing any "bashing" either.
Is this what they call "yellow journalism"?joxy said:In reply to your strange tirade against me, directed to Thorin, which I won't descend to quote:
I've said that PJ has some "dark" corners in his mind. Listen to him on the EE extras and you'll hear him speaking from those corners - and being perfectly happy with, and even proud of, what he says.
I've said that occasionally PJ shows acts of incompetence in his films. Look at Faramir's cave from which most of the large, substantial, and very obvious props disappear betwen frames of the film.
I've said nothing about PJ "destroying the books". The idea is absurd; the books will long out-last the films.
Your comments are not a "summary of what you have read from joxy"; they're a summary of your own imaginings.
I have never "bashed" the films; I have often praised parts of them, and have mildlypointed out the faults in other parts of them.
He doesn't need this, but I haven't seen Foe-Hammer doing any "bashing" either.
An old example, direct from FOTR DVD EE: "I wanted the interior of The Prancing Pony to have a urine-stained appearance."Ol'gaffer said:And these are?
....it took you to slow down the movie to 1/16 speed to actually see this.....Calling Peter Jackson incompetent on such a thing
No, they're all summarized from what I've read from your comments.
Oh yes, you're bashing....
LOL, yes it must have been - I was feeling slightly nauseated at the time - can't think why!Parrot said:Is this what they call "yellow journalism"?
MY PUPILS ARE BURNING!
joxy said:I take your point, but I have to question how much of those "finer points of screen writing" are included in these films"! I have the evidence of my ears and eyes to tell me that a lot of the writing is done with a very wide brush, and I have the comments by the writers themselves to confirm the idea! Subtle they are NOT.
Sure we can. Oh wait, I forgot, I have no credibility. Huh, go figure. Of course, we all know that you have real credibility, so we can trust your opinion, right? Right? Oh wait, no. You haven't demonstrated any real credibility either. Isn't that funny. </snarkyness>Foe-Hammer said:Because the movie is such a record breaking success, we must admit that pj and company did a mighty fine job in adapting this to the screen. No one, with any real credibilty, can claim that any script or scene change would have made this movie a bigger success.
Foe-Hammer said:Because the movie is such a record breaking success, we must admit that pj and company did a mighty fine job in adapting this to the screen. No one, with any real credibilty, can claim that any script or scene change would have made this movie a bigger success.
Gandalf White said:You are correct that the movie was wildly successful. However, your assumptions based on that fact are rather off. Saying the movie is successful is just that; a great film that consequently brought in a lot of money. The success of the movie, however, is not based on how well it was adapted. There is no way you can imply that.
I am forced to agree that some script or a scene change or two would not make it more successful; however, I would argue that scene and script changes would make it better. Given enough tasteful changes, the movie may have been an even bigger success.
....Foe-Hammer said:I disagree. The two previous attempts at this story were much closer to the book, yet were absolute failures. Therefore, the version we have now with all it's differences is a better version. On that basis alone it is a long stretch to claim that any changes made that are closer to the book would be more likely to make the movie more successful.
Foe-Hammer said:I disagree. The two previous attempts at this story were much closer to the book, yet were absolute failures. Therefore, the version we have now with all it's differences is a better version. On that basis alone it is a long stretch to claim that any changes made that are closer to the book would be more likely to make the movie more successful.
And the fact that they are very good films...Rhiannon said:The New Line films are without a doubt more successful, but this has nothing to do with the changes made in the story and everything to do with the budget, the marketing, the hype, and Orlando Bloom's complexion.
joxy said:An old example, direct from FOTR DVD EE: "I wanted the interior of The Prancing Pony to have a urine-stained appearance."
It's perfectly true, I did have to try the 1/16 and I still wasn't convinced about that orc killing the smaller one! I didn't say that was anything to do with incompetence by PJ; in fact I said it could perhaps be explained by my DVD copy having a fault, and even I wouldn't blame him for that.
I can only repeat: they have nothing to do with my comments.
I haven't the strength to bash a boiled potato into mash.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?