Mrs. Maggott
Home is where the cat is
- Joined
- Oct 2, 2002
- Messages
- 3,463
Well, I'll be happy to read your book, but I suggest that you first read mine: Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. Good book! Maybe you've heard of it?Foe-Hammer said:I too, am anxious for you to read it so I wont have to continue explaining all this to you.
Just another example of PJ doing a better job with the story than JRR did.
No offense FH, but the geeks you are talking about are not book lovers but movie lovers. Such a strange 'cult' phenomenenon is usually associated with movie goers (and in this case, it is definitely true. I came out of the theatre seeing 'Galadriel' smoking a cigarette) not book lovers.Foe-Hammer said:And lest anyone think I am generallizing all npws, I'll list a few of the varying reasons. Some have their gandalf hat over their eyes, others are smoking too much "pipe-weed" and the air surrounding the pages of the book is cloudy. There are many who are at the point of swooning from the euphoric belief that they ARE in ME and their eyes are rolled back into their heads so far they cannot see.
Mrs. Maggott said:Of course, he wouldn't actually have gotten five steps burning as he was, but, ah, who cares? Thank God those who want to enjoy these films are able to ignore little things like accuracy
I've been offered roughly half of one flaw so far.Foe-Hammer said:....the npw's version of LoTR is mostly a version they have imagined. A version that has no flaws and is perfectly consistent in plot and character.
Actually, no. If one is on fire as Denethor was on fire, I can assure you - you ain't gonna run two football fields and throw yourself off a cliff! To begin with, you would die of inhalation of superheated air even if your heart didn't stop from the shock your system sustained. Then, too, the man's head was saturated in oil. That means that his eyes would have burned out as well as his nose and throat. In all, he might have been able to run a couple of feet, but that's it! To show him running all that way at top speed is, in fact,Gandalf White said:I think "accuracy" is definitely the wrong word here. Perhaps you were looking for "believability"? Anyway, that's why I love Tolkien and enjoy the movies. There's a reality there, yet mixed with a touch of unbelievability that makes it so enjoyable.
It also sounds distinctly nasty, not something for PJ and his followers to be proud of.Mrs. Maggott said:To show him running all that way at top speed is, in fact, inaccurate as well as unbelievable.
LOL!Thorin said:No offense FH, but the geeks you are talking about are not book lovers but movie lovers. Such a strange 'cult' phenomenenon is usually associated with movie goers (and in this case, it is definitely true. I came out of the theatre seeing 'Galadriel' smoking a cigarette) not book lovers.
Your NPW comments apply to extreme FADs, not lovers of Tolkien. Best get that straight before you paint us with a brush that applies to your ilk.
Who DOES know the first thing about "fire science"? You?Foe-Hammer said:....all these "facts" and "truths"....
Anyone who knows the first thing about fire science knows that ALL materials must decompose before they will actually burn. This would give Denathor plenty of time to make that awe inspiring leap more than believable.
What a crock! Denethor was already burning merrily when he began his Olympic torch run. At least in TTT, the orc was carrying the torch - he wasn't the torch! Denethor's face and head had been doused in oil designed to burn quite apart from his body. Remember the scene? I do! Ergo, whether the man or the oil was on fire, something was burning and not merely smoldering. That means that the man would have had his eyelids and corneas (at the very least) burned away; he would have been, in effect, blind. Furthermore, his nose and throat would have been seriously burned as he breathed in the flames. Even if his lungs weren't immediately affected, certainly he would not have been able to continue to breathe given the badly burned state of his nasal passages as well as his mouth and windpipe. Try running ten feet holding your breath (never mind in searing pain) and tell me how well you do!Foe-Hammer said:I love all these "facts" and "truths" the npw pull out of their backsides to impress us all.
Anyone who knows the first thing about fire science knows that ALL materials must decompose before they will actually burn. This would give Denathor plenty of time to make that awe inspiring leap more than believable. But of course, you must approach such things without a chip the size of Gibralter on your shoulder. A feat that escapes the npw.
Mrs. Maggott said:To show him running all that way at top speed is, in fact, inaccurate as well as unbelievable.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?