• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

MY HARD QUESTION #1: Were the 💀Nazgul wearing their Rings or not?

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Joined
Jan 13, 2002
Messages
1,947
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I have three great questions that I would love to be answered, this is the first. I read the chapter 'The Council of Elrond' for about the twentieth time today and I found two of my great questions from there and the third had been on my mind for a little while! My first question is: Were the Nazgul wearing the Nine Rings, even though I only read 'The Council of Elrond' today, I seem to remember that it saud that they did, however I have heard from many that Sauron kept them in Barad-dur! Please, I would love these hard questions to be answered!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
 
From The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien,Letter 246 to Mrs Eileen Elgar, September 1965, Tolkien writes,

"...laid upon them by Sauron, who still through their nine rings (which he held) had primary control of their wills..."
 
Tough question. Quotes in LOTR seem to be ambiguous/contradictory:

Gandalf in a shadow from the past
So it is now: the Nine he has gathered to himself; the Seven also, or else they are destroyed. The Three are hidden still.

But the same Gandalf in the Council of Elrond
What then? The Nine the Nazgul keep. The Seven are taken or destroyed

Other mentionings (haven't checked HOME, anyone know any mentionings there?)
UT (Part III chapter IV, the hunt for the ring)
At length therefore he resolved to use the Ringwraiths. He had been reluctant to do so, until he knew precisely where the Ring was, for several reasons. They were by far the most powerful of his servants, and the most suitable for such a mission, since they were entirely enslaved to their Nine Rings, which he now himself held; they were quite incapable of acting against his will, and if one of them, even the Witch-king their captain, had seized the One Ring, he would have brought it back to his Master

Letter # 246
they would have obeyed or feigned to obey any minor commands of his that did not interfere with their errand – laid upon them by Sauron, who still through their nine rings (which he held) had primary control of their wills.

So I guess I'll go for Sauron holding them.
1. But that brings two new problems: could he have given them to 9 more men, wait for those to become wraiths too, and then have 18 powerful servants?
2. Was there a Ring of Power lying on the battlefield after the Witch King was slain, ready to be picked up by whoever found it?


ai Grond beat me with his quote from letters.
 
He always upstages me...you know, I can take you back to Home Depot anytime Hammerboy...;)
 
Oh my Gosh even a Pony makes me look like an amateur - hey there has to be something said for short and simple.:)

And I was right too - I just didn't take a million years to type my correct answer!:p
 
Nazgul to Sauron: "Daddy, can I wear the Ring tonight?"

Sauron: "No. Youve been bad. You acted like a Keystone Kop chasing those Hobbits from the Shire to Rivendell."

Nazgul: "That's because you didnt give us our Rings. We're just shadows of ourselves without them. They are 'Rings of Power,' arent they? Where's the 'Power' if YOU keep them, Dad?"

Sauron: "Just for that, go to your Tower and stay there until the War starts. No flying either. You are grounded."
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top