• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Neo-Khuzdul

Lantarion

no house
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
3,710
Hi all!

I haven't stopped by TTF in a long time, but I ran across an amazing blog that I think everyone drawn towards this particular sub-forum will appreciate:

Midgardsmal -- Languages of Middle-earth

It's the linguistic blog of David Salo, the primary linguist and consultant on all language issues in the Jackson movies. I urge you all especially to take a look at his posts on "Neo-Khuzdul", his philological conlanging of what little JRRT left us of Dwarvish. It's absolutely fascinating, at least to me as a linguistics student/enthusiast. :) His root system, which models on languages like Arabic; his phonoaesthetics; his reasoning behind certain morphologies and syntactical decisions... It's all too much! *gush*

Anyway, check it out. Also: (1) Does anyone know if David Salo (who is Canadian) has Finnish roots? His surname is a very common one up here (my own is "Salonen"), and I'm curious. (2) Why is this Languages-forum so deathly silent?! :confused:
 
Salo's construct (whose corpus is also scavengeable via the old G-i-P site) is probably the most famous, but there are other Neo/Pseudo Dwarvish attempts out there too.

#1) https://www.lotro.com/en/forums/showthread.php?390991-Thramili-s-Khuzdul-Dictionary(revisited
#2) http://dwarrowscholar.mymiddleearth.com/2012/06/27/neo-khuzdul-dictionaries-for-lotro-dwarves/

I expect these should prove handy if one was looking for the odd item — moreso if one knows something of the stuff, i.e. has gone through Ardalambion's Khuzdul article and Arda Philology #1 (pp. 42-65) and can for instance tell if anything needs further adapting to better suit the original Khuzdul phonology and patterns.
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top