• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Of Animals pt.1

There are otters. That's one kind.

And squirrels. And dragons.

If there are cats there are probably lions, and there's mention of one in a poem, but it depends upon where you live of course. There aren't any lions where I live, for example.

And mice.
 
There are otters. That's one kind.

And squirrels. And dragons.

If there are cats there are probably lions, and there's mention of one in a poem, but it depends upon where you live of course. There aren't any lions where I live, for example.

And mice.
What do you mean "it depends upon where you live"? In my country there aren't manyany lions too. But there are tigers. Haha..
 
And goats.

I just mean there are lions in Middle-earth somewhere (or something that Tolkien "translated" with "lion" in a poem), but I would say not in the Shire (a north-western area) for example.

Tolkien’s was once annoyed at a cover illustration appearing on one of his books, where an artist had placed a lion (and other stuff), at least seemingly, in a Shire setting:

"I therefore will not enter into a debate about taste (meaning though I do not say so: horrible colours and foul lettering) - but I must ask this about the vignette: what has it to do with the story? Where is this place. Why a lion and emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with pink bulbs? I do not understand how anybody who had read the tale (I hope you are one) could think such a picture would please the author."

Middle-earth is our world, in an imaginary past.
 
And goats.

I just mean there are lions in Middle-earth somewhere (or something that Tolkien "translated" with "lion" in a poem), but I would say not in the Shire (a north-western area) for example.

Tolkien’s was once annoyed at a cover illustration appearing on one of his books, where an artist had placed a lion (and other stuff), at least seemingly, in a Shire setting:

"I therefore will not enter into a debate about taste (meaning though I do not say so: horrible colours and foul lettering) - but I must ask this about the vignette: what has it to do with the story? Where is this place. Why a lion and emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with pink bulbs? I do not understand how anybody who had read the tale (I hope you are one) could think such a picture would please the author."

Middle-earth is our world, in an imaginary past.
Okay. So there (at middle earth) might be a lion, perhaps in a different name and a different appearance. And not in shire I too believe. Thankss..
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top