Finrod smiled casually, trying to ignore the growing feeling of doubt gnawing at him.
Fingon seemed genuinely approving of the large gesture of respect, but somehow, Finrod couldn't put it out of his head that he had 'messed something up' and had surely overwhelmed his cousin, if not humiliated him or worse. So, to quell that feeling, much as it may have seemed awkward, he bowed once more, this time lower but not discernably so. "I am sorry to have surprised you." He said, the words sounding to him like a pathetic cover-up. "I didn't mean that to be the case. I just wanted to honor you. You are noble. So, so very noble." He nods. "A true and valiant example of the shining glory of
Arda, at last undimmed in the breaking of the dawn. For your goodness is akin to that of
Valinor, and your justice as the Eldar of old in
Cuiviénen."
He now became aware, by his past bit of speech, that he was struggling very much so to say anything that was not direct praise of
Findekano. He hoped dearly that it was not overdone, so as to appear a fraud and without sincerity, and he hoped that it didn't appear needy, as if
Nargothrond was falling to ruin and Finrod was using flattery to appease his remaining allies. But his thoughts loosened, deepening in the conversation. Distractions were very welcome to him, of course, due to his perhaps overbearing sense of peace and equality. Everything had to be said just so, or he would inwardly chastise himself for it till the end of time. But, enough of that for the moment. It was time to relax and enjoy this conversation. He would drive himself into madness if he didn't quiet his mind for a moment and put away the thoughts that he could be destroying connection with Fingon.
He smiled, nodding. "Yes, yes, indeed! I would love for you to see it. Both of them, I might mark.
Menegroth is by no means lesser in beauty or magnificence." He turns another slight comment directed specifically at
Maedhros. "Ah, and Maedhros, you mention that it fares well-, and rightly do you say such a thing, for indeed it does. But Nargothrond would never have been mine despite for the goodness of King
Thingol. It was he who took me and counseled me about the deep gorge flowing by the river Narog." He turns a slight smirk. "So, you are in fact complimenting King Thingol on his wisdom and excellence," He adds in a bit lower voice, "or at least you ought to be." After that slight remark, he turned back to Fingon. "Trade with the
Naugrim has been well. The
Dwarves of the
Blue Mountains are never lacking in their generosity and goodness. You might indeed say that they are almost too benevolent," He flashed a nod in the direction of
Telchar and Firnen, for they were good friends of his. "They have even given me the title of
Felagund." He shook his head, still in disbelief at such a name being given to him.
It still seemed so unbelievable, truly. It wasn't like he had believed that Dwarves couldn't be allied with. He had always thought deep down in his heart of hearts that they were as capable of loving and receiving love as any other
race, and that surely, they must have bonds and civil standards and morality and truth, just like the Eldar. And he thought the same of
Men. Different
races? Indeed. But why did that matter? So, one lived into their hundreds and the other for many
ages of the world. Besides the obvious grief that would be stricken upon
Elves who allied with the Men, there was little other harm. And grief, he believed, was of course a virtue of sorts. The Eldar did not look upon mourning as shameful, but rather as restorative and healing, bringing closure and peace, and above all, honor for the lost one. So, no. It wasn't any of that which made him so shocked. It was
his role in all of it. He never, never in a thousand ages of this world had imagined himself a bridge and mediator between three races. It seemed unimaginable, and yet, here he was. Esteemed by Dwarves, honored by Men, and friend, close friend, to both. What an honor and what a role. But most of all, what a responsibility and blessing. Speaking of responsibility, isn't it time he ought to welcome the people he united?
He walked closer to the Dwarves and Men, hoping to make his presence known to some degree and to welcome them with love and dignity. "Hail ye, Barahir!" He exclaimed, turning his gaze to the man standing before him. "How does all fare with you? Are your people well?" A smile spreads on his face, and he speaks again, but this time in
Sindarin. For he had taught Barahir's people the language. "
Bain suilad!"
("Good greetings!") And he turned also to Telchar and Firnen, and spoke, "Well met, Telchar." He bowed, extending his hand. "It is good to see you again, and Firnen also. May I thank you for the good you have brought to Nargothrond. Your skill in craft of architecture is not rivaled by any."
And with all of these relations that he had reminded himself he ought to be doing, he completely ignored the discussion with Fingon until he was interrupted by it and tried to remember what they had been speaking about. Ah, yes. Maedhros. "Isn't it obvious?" He responded. "Maedhros is a fine Eldar, and personally, I have nothing truly against him," He touched one hand to his heart in sincerity. "But don't we all just know that he or any of his brothers would make a terrible king? Why, to have a Son of
Feanor, to have Maedhros, as High King of the
Noldor would be a virtual death sentence upon her honor!" He recognized that his voice may have been a bit loud in that statement and hushed it down farther. "I say no ill thing about him. He is fine at doing," He gestured with his hands. "These, sorts of things, and gathering participants for a meeting is one thing, and he's fine at it. But as king?" He scoffed. "I would not want Maedhros or any of his brothers within a hundred leagues of the throne. Their father already proved my point, so I don't think I have to."
Mulling over it, he realized that his last statement could have been a bit blunt. It was, after all, about Maedhros who was apparently a very good friend of Fingon. And, Finrod being the Eldar that he was, he couldn't put it aside. No, he had to try and fix it, or at least do it some justice in his mind so that everything could be cleared. And so, he made his attempt. "Fingon, truly I mean no offense. I know that you love Maedhros like a brother. And I have known him well, also. He is more considerate than most of his kin, and however low that end might be, he has at least surpassed it. But surely you must understand that we would not want him as a king. The idea is simply preposterous." He paused. "I don't mean it as any backhanded insult, or crude remark about his character. For what I know him, and for what it's worth, he's a fine Eldar. But would I trust him to rule my
realm? When his father did such heinous crimes and he participated? Absolutely not. The answer in fact, must be no."
Fingolfin laughed. "Everything organized? I had better. This meeting must be just so, and it must go according to plan. I don't think you fully know this, but the amount of things that could go wrong," He gave a deep, heavy sigh. "It is unnumbered, and countless. What, with a
Maia, Dwarves, Elves, Men, Houses that have separated for ages upon end..." He shook his head, looking down. "I trust you have made all the relations, spoken with everyone, made them feel welcome? Told them that they can mention anything? I do indeed want this to be a successful
Council. And that of course, must mean that I have allowed for questions and concerns and so much else."
He took Fingon's hand, pulling him into a warm embrace. "Son," He muttered. "I must tell you; I cannot do this meeting without you. I may be the High King of the Noldor, but that is a title that I can only bear with the help of all of you." He looked around at the others, murmuring. "Ai, that would be a good remark for me to make in the beginning address." And then looked back down at his son. "Fingon Findekano... What a son you are to be proud of."
Everything was almost set. The papers were in order on his desk and the beginnings of his address and the notes which he had hoped to cover were written on parchment. The guests had arrived, the Council was almost in motion. But Fingolfin was not distracted by all of this for very long. His heart was in the right place. In knowing that he was not worthy of the title he had been granted, and not worthy of his high place in the Council, but that he would serve for the good of all
Beleriand. And that he would be noble and not hold grudges against any. Not the Men, nor the Dwarves, nor the Houses which he had so disliked for they disliked him. All rivalry, all anger, all angst was placed aside. Only one thing mattered. Unite or fail. This was a day that had to be peaceful, it had to be uniting and not separating. It had to be perfect.