Zahin Hasan
Member
- Joined
- Apr 9, 2024
- Messages
- 8
A strange kind of fulfillment. Even in battles they won, they often got slaughtered wholesale, due to their tendency for suicidal attacks. This is not a statistic gleaned from any specific battle, as JRRT tended to be vague on actual numbers, but they might get slaughtered at a rate of 9 to 1, but still won as they showed up on the battlefield with a 10 to 1 numerical superiority.... I always like to think of them as a creature with an immense need to kill and cause pain to other living beings in order to find any real fulfilment. ..
A strange kind of fulfillment. Even in battles they won, they often got slaughtered wholesale, due to their tendency for suicidal attacks. This is not a statistic gleaned from any specific battle, as JRRT tended to be vague on actual numbers, but they might get slaughtered at a rate of 9 to 1, but still won as they showed up on the battlefield with a 10 to 1 numerical superiority.
Yes, and T.A. Shippey shows how Tolkien used both Old Norse vargr, "which means both 'wolf' and 'outlaw' " with Old English wearh, "which means 'outcast' or 'outlaw' (but not 'wolf')" to come up with warg: "wolves, but not just wolves, intelligent and malevolent wolves".In fact an old Icelandic word for murderer with something aching to the tendencies of serial killers is ''Morðvargur''(Murder warg).
This is probably an assumption based on anthropomorphic notions. Wolves do engage in surplus killing but it's doubtful it's done for sport.Makes the most sense thou. Especially when you take into account what we learn about them in the Hobbit. Most torture devices in Middle-Earth are of their making and the only other creature they seem to get along with are wargs and please remember that in real life wolfs are one of the few predators who do not just kill for food but for fun.
Now, now, Thrain, the plural of wolf - and old word - has always been wolves.wolfs
in his later years, JRRT decided that Orcs could not be corrupted Men or Elves, as Morgoth could not have robbed a Man or an Elf of his God-given soul.Well I'm not feeling the love for the Orcs in any great measure here, so I'll put my tuppence worth in.
Something that has always struck me as odd is the unrelenting hatred for Orcs by basically every other race in LoTR, but does this actually make sense?
Melkor captures Elves and enslaves and corrupts them in Utumno, with the result being the Orcs. So I would be happy to say that the Orcs are 'immortal' in the same way as the Elves. So some Orcs from this age (or at least their descendants) are around at the time of the LoTR (I'm thinking that Tracker Orc didn't get so deadly with a bow without an awful lot of practice).
In the same way we have the ordinary, boring Elves still around after all that time.
Now surely some of the first encounters between Elf and Orc would have been between people who basically knew each other (or at least knew of each other); and wouldn't this knowledge be passed down?
Yet at no stage does an Elf ever try to help an Orc? Even though they (or at least some of them) would have known the Orcs' origin?
Where does this leave us in terms of 'Elf=good Orc=bad'?
Ah, but I think there's enough ambiguity running right throughout Tolkien's work for me to be happy to stand by my opinion.in his later years, JRRT decided that Orcs could not be corrupted Men or Elves, as Morgoth could not have robbed a Man or an Elf of his God-given soul.
This is not simply my opinion, but is based on his notes (published in Morgoth’s Ring). I once wrote an essay about this.
Namarie! Here’s an essay on the origin of 🧌Orcs.
Hi, I’m Zahin. I live in Bangladesh. I have been a huge fan of Tolkien for almost 40 years. Here is an essay I wrote on the origin of Orcs. Based on Morgoth’s Ring. In the published Silmarillion it says that orcs are corrupted Elves. This was an editorial choice made by Christopher Tolkien...thetolkien.forum
What he said, but My Aged Eyes...I can't agree. Well, I could, but I don't
That's an abbreviated, smaller font version
It various places the considerable size range of orcs are mentioned. Maybe the smaller ones are in part the orcish equivalent of child soldiers? If so, this adds to the horror of the orcs.This is becoming very philosophical. 😅
My take on where these proposed orc-children are: Elves take much longer to grow up than men, who in turn take much longer to mature than most if not all beasts. Maybe the twisting of the elves that became the orcs also shortened these time frames to maybe as little as a few weeks or days. So compared to the overall life span of orcs, there simply aren't any children to speak of.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?