• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Parting of Aragorn and Celeborn

Maeglin

Elite
Joined
Jul 26, 2002
Messages
2,194
Return of the King, Book 6, Chapter 6, Many Partings:
But Celeborn said: 'Kinsman, farewell! May your doom be other than mine, and your treasure remain with you to the end!'

I'm 90 percent sure I know what this means, but I just want a second opinion on it. I interpreted this as Celeborn saying that he hopes Arwen remains with Aragorn to the end, as he knew that Galadriel would be living Middle-earth before him, so he would have to go without his "treasure" for many long years before he leaves Middle-earth himself. Is that what other people saw this quote as?
 
Yes, in a nutshell. It also seems to me that it is the only time in LotR when Celeborn shows any emotion (or in fact says much of anything, really).
 
Well he does talk a little bit more when the fellowship reaches Lorien, I think he actually does more of the talking at their first meeting there than Galadriel does.
 
Glorfindel1187 said:
Well he does talk a little bit more when the fellowship reaches Lorien, I think he actually does more of the talking at their first meeting there than Galadriel does.


thats because galadriel was doing her mindlink thing....
 
Nonsense, Celeborn is showing emotions when he is berating Dwarves and making moves on Frodo.;)

But yes, I think you have it spot on. Leaving M-E (eventually) would be hard for Celeborn, since he evidently loved it a lot.
 
Even these word were too much for Celeborn,a person who never showed his feelings.But yes,I believe that he loved so much ME,that it was a real tragedy for him to leave it.
 
Celeborn never showed his feelings? Where do you get that from? We have several examples of Celeborn conveying different emotions in the book.
 
Inderjit S said:
Leaving M-E (eventually) would be hard for Celeborn, since he evidently loved it a lot.

Yes, this is true. Would this have something to do with Celeborn being one of the Sindar rather than one of the Noldor? He had never experienced the Blessed Realm, except maybe in the face of Melian and the hair of Galadriel. It seems that these Elves loved Middle-earth more than the Noldor that returned from over the Sea.

I believe I read somewhere that Thranduil and the rest of the Sindarin Elves of Greenwood wanted to remain in Middle-earth and retain the simple life that they had lived for so long. If this is true then obviously the Sindar had a greater love for Middle-earth than the Noldor, yet the Sea-longing remained in their hearts, lying dorment until they beheld it (as Legolas states).

Yet, if this quote is anything to go by, Celeborn did eventually leave Middle-earth after dwelling in Rivendell with the Sons of Elrond for a while:

The Lord of the Rings Prologue, "NOTE ON THE SHIRE RECORDS"

It is probable that Meriadoc obtained assistance and information from Rivendell, which he visited more than once. There, though Elrond had departed, his sons long remained, together with some of the High-elven folk. It is said that Celeborn went to dwell there after the departure of Galadriel; but there is no record of the day when at last he sought the Grey Havens, and with him went the last living memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth.

Very sad. :(
 
Inderjit S said:
Celeborn never showed his feelings? Where do you get that from? We have several examples of Celeborn conveying different emotions in the book.
What I mean is that he was not as emotional as the others.
That was how I felt it when I read LOTR for rist time and the UT.It seemed to me that he was very calm person.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top