• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Discussion Peregrin Took: My Road

Ent

Silently Observing Observed Silence
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Jun 28, 2022
Messages
5,006
Comments on this impending book are welcome here.
All posts made to the Redbook are subject to editing in the future.

This book is intended to be an "adjunct" to Elessar: Architect of Middle Earth, and After Elessar: The Fourth Age - meaning some of the things Pippin will address to us in the course of his "Road" will feed directly into the larger two-volume Elessar series.

If the Introduction posted does not invite readers in to find out what Pippin has to say about his past, present and concerns about the future, a different introduction is needed.
 
Last edited:
I thought it was a great introduction! I liked the tender, yet somewhat teasing and bantering dynamic between Pippin and Elessar. For me, at least, the introduction served its purpose of getting the reader interested in Pippin's memoirs. I found the mechanics of the writing to be easy to read, too-- good sentence and paragraph lengths, and a balanced blend of dialogue and action/description. I can't follow along well with huge blocks of text, for example. Looking forward to when you post more!
 
That was a beautiful read, Ent! I confess, I had not seen much of your work other than poetry in the past, but wow, you really outdid yourself! I love the natural feel to the progression of the conversation, you perfectly captured the interaction as a meeting between the two old friends, and you seemed also to beautifully paint the picture of Pippin's personality and quizzical nature.

I also loved seeing your Hobbit-like language, with phrases like "getting on" and "concern yourself about". To me, it had that nostalgic Tolkienian feel that I always seek when coming to read the books of The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. You also highlighted the memories of Pippin and Merry in such a heartfelt and beautiful way.

All in all, I am very impressed! I cannot wait to read whatever else you put forth. No doubt it will be lovely. Over all, strong ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating. This was excellent!
 
I had not seen much of your work other than poetry in the past,
Well, the only other things I could post would be some of the essays/studies done on Doyle's Sherlock Holmes works, for publishing in various Sherlock journals.

But there's not a fitting place for them here on TTF, and some knowledge of Sherlock and of 'playing the game' among Sherlockians, Holmesians, and Doyleians would be needed for anyone to be interested in them.

I've been wanting to get some of my essays on Tolkien stuff done and posted, as they're along similar lines - but time, life, and editing projects keep steering me aside. And the essays are purely topical things, without a larger purpose other than perception, clarification and expression. (And fun.)

As I've told one of the authors (and may have posted here somewhere), doing my own stuff seems so selfish - unless it can be done with a greater purpose than self, helping others always comes first. (But that may be changing now, when I get the book I'm currently editing done. I think I see the road ahead for the current works on the plate and what they should be and do.)
 
I think this was very well written @Old Ent. As I am literally reading the Trilogy at this moment, it definitely keeps the feel of the dialogue as Tolkien wrote it. It feels perhaps traditional in a way, but casual (which is the closest I can come to describing the way I always feel about Tolkien's dialogue).

As @Elbereth Vala Varda stated the expressions are spot on. I usually use the cadence and voices of the PJ actors in my head when I read the books, and I did not have to do any "work" to make those voices fit your dialogue.

As for the degree that it drew me in, I did genuinely get disappointed when I scrolled down and found that it had ended. Obviously, any of us here are biased in our pre-existing love of the characters and world of Arda, but it certainly left me wanting more. I am still new here, so I don't know much of your other work, but I enjoyed this introduction and want to read further.

Also, your concern about not wanting to be selfish by pursuing and spreading your own imaginative work is noble, but if its your passion and it burns bright within you then you need to continue kindling that passion. For someone to truly love their creation and make it available to others is one of the greatest gifts that can be given. Art, beauty, and creativity are positive and nourishing in their own right and the passions of one can be a beacon to others.

As the Buddha once said, "A thousand flames can be lit from a single candle, and the light of the candle is never diminished. Happiness is never decreased by being shared."
 
I don't know much of your other work, but I enjoyed this introduction and want to read further
The only other work here I have, is in my 'Verse and Rhyme' thread and one write-up on the origins of the Ents, which i've never revised and finished.

Peregrin Took is now delayed for a couple years (except for continuing to add thoughts/insights/ponderings to my notebook as they occur to me), as I need to finish the newest work added to my list first, being the most important of them all.

Then I can continue with the Tolkien-related works.

The newest work won't be posted/published here, as it's entirely of a Biblical nature and content...though perhaps posting its title, objective and nature of content at some point someplace won't be too out of line. Maybe in the "Writing Projects" thread.

Anyway, thanks for the comments on this one... good encouragement for me to keep on it when its time comes.

If I can figure out where it might fit, I might post a couple of my essays on Sherlock Holmes stuff... they were really fun to write, and there are a few here who seem to know of and appreciate Doyle's work on Sherlock.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top