Originally posted by Mrs. Maggott
Are you saying that the EE of TTT is worse than the original film???? And if so, pray tell us in what way!
....I want to know what you have seen that has made you give such a "stomach turning" warning. If I remember, you had hopes that the EE might improve the second film.
Dear Mrs M! As
the White Wizard has realised below my comment about stomach-churning was (almost) serious, and refers to one specific scene.
I have two threads in the TTT section, "New and Nasty Nonsense about Nerves",
and "TTT EE - Good and Bad - The Mixture as before".
The stomach-churner is the subject of NNNN, so I will not sully anyone's ears here by repeating the details.
I did indeed anticipate improvement in the EE, and it is certainly there - BUT accompanied, as ever, by an equal amount of dross. I deliberately placed "Good" ahead of "Bad" because I think there is a slight balance in that direction.
To give you an idea, of the "bad", bearing in mind your comment about spoilers:
the new beginning is excellent, looks like getting even better, as
Sam's box of earth seems to have miraculously appeared, but then falls with a crash, as it is not that after all.
the promise that M&P were being allowed to grow up at last is dashed in what should have been a brilliant new scene, over the ent-draught, but in which PJ returns to little better than slap-stick.
this is repeated in another potentially great introduction, the aftermath of the flooding of
Isengard.
there is an elaborate attempt to explain PJ's idea of the
Boromir/
Faramir/
Denethor relationship which seems to me totally over-the-top.
then, in the aftermath of HD, the sickener - another touch of "comedy" for
Gimli and
Legolas.
On the margin between bad and good, PJ has the curious idea of transplanting parts of
the Old Forest into
Fangorn - I'll leave that to be seen.
Then there are the good points, which I still actually place first, but again I leave those for your viewing pleasure.
Finally, I must, regretfully, put yet more money into PJ's pockets by urging everyone to buy the EE, if only for a priceless section of the additional material. "From Book to Film - Finding the Story" is a remarkable attempt at explaining, and even excusing, all the changes that we have discussed here for so long. It is interesting to note that they are aware of criticisms made here, but with a wonderful mix of naivety and arrogance they convince themselves, and try to convince us, that they did the "best possible thing in the best possible of worlds" - while cheerfully admitting that
Tolkien would have disliked a lot of it!
They couldn't "find" the story when it was handed to them on a plate, with a $300m side order!