• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Project- The Black Speech

Búrzghâsh

Dark Linguist
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16
As many of you know the Black Speech was barely elaborated on in most of JRRT's work. I would like to pick up where he left off. I think we should begin to extensively study the information we possess and use it to create the most accurate possible portrayal of the black speech. Many have already created their own dialects but I would like to create one that is as accurate as possible using every reference we can find. Right now I am trying to find team of people that would be willing to undertake this. I don't think it will be easy. I would also only want the best linguists among you who already know quite a bit of elven and orkish.
 
nazg is the Black Speech word for “ring” . It just happens to be the Irish word for “ring”: nasc, and in Scottish, nasg. In Letter 297, Tolkien remarks on this, observing that
It also fits well in meaning, since it also means, and prob. originally meant, a bond, and can be used for an ‘obligation’. … I have no liking at all for Gaelic from Old Irish downwards, … but it is of course of great historical and philological interest… It is thus probable that nazg is actually derived from it, and this short, hard and clear vocable, sticking out from what seems to me … a mushy language, became lodged in some corner of my linguistic memory.
For example, Láithréan mór na nasc Gaelach, meaning, Major site of Gaelic links. In cuurent net nomenclature, a series of such related sites is ... a “ring”.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top