Odo Proudfoot
Back into the fray!
- Joined
- Dec 30, 2001
- Messages
- 403
Really? Well I guess we ultimately can't speak for Jackson, but how many fans of the book (of which PJ claims to be one as well) ever in our wildest imaginations thought Arwen would look good in place of Glorfindel and doing and saying the crazy things she did at the Fords? How many?.....*crickets chirping*. Exactly. Why would we then assume that this was Jackson's 'impression' or desire for Arwen? If it is possible, then it is strange considering that the concept was totally abandoned in the next two movies and admitted by cast and crew alike that the image didn't fit. Sounds more like a desire to make use of Liv Tyler and kill two birds with one stone cinematically IMO.Odo Proudfoot said:My view has always been that Jackson is a film director and an artist, and he makes these films the only way an artist can: he makes them so that they satisfy himself. The book makes an impression on him, and that impression is his personal one. He translates this impression to film and presents it to us, the viewers. It is up to us to accept or reject them....Where he has made changes from the book that are not obviously driven by basic film considerations, he has made them because they give him the film he wanted, the film he internalises when he reads the book.
That's too bad. If it were only the studio's choices as to what went in the film and what didn't, PJ could have deflected much of the negativity towards him. As it is (with a few exceptions like the gift giving scene being cut) the decisions were PJ's and he must take responsibility for some of the horrific distortions that made into the theatre. And on the heels of this view comes the erroneous (or at least unproven) view that the movie wouldn't have been successful without some of PJ's changes, distortions, edits and additions, and that had he remained true to the book it would have flopped.Odo Proudfoot said:Yet, on the whole, Jackson strikes me as a man who will in the end make his own films, not just the films the studio wants. He has enough self-confidence to go his own way without doubting that his products will appeal to the mass audience he needs to be financially successful.)
Thorin said:That's too bad. If it were only the studio's choices as to what went in the film and what didn't, PJ could have deflected much of the negativity towards him. As it is (with a few exceptions like the gift giving scene being cut) the decisions were PJ's and he must take responsibility for some of the horrific distortions that made into the theatre. And on the heels of this view comes the erroneous (or at least unproven) view that the movie wouldn't have been successful without some of PJ's changes, distortions, edits and additions, and that had he remained true to the book it would have flopped.
Well I guess we ultimately can't speak for Jackson, but how many fans of the book (of which PJ claims to be one as well) ever in our wildest imaginations thought Arwen would look good in place of Glorfindel and doing and saying the crazy things she did at the Fords? How many?.....*crickets chirping*. Exactly.
You began with the unfairness of ad hominem attacks on Jackson’s motives. That’s a reasonable beginning.It might help if you were to respond to the essence of my post rather than pulling a few lines out of context. In the first paragraphs l make it quite clear what kind of criticism I am referring to.
Self-defeating?My point is that criticising an artist for taking license with his source material is self-defeating. You would never get any art if an artist isn't allowed to insert his internalisation into his work.
Ah! Yes. Money.How many thought it worked and did not destroy Tolkien or the story? ........ Let's see $2,500,000,000 + gross and climbing for three films ......*tap, tap, tap*....... Wait! Wait! I am still counting. ...... *tap, tap, tap* ...... Millions of new readers of LOTR and other Tolkien works ....... *tap, tap, tap* ...... What the? ....... ?!?!?! ....... My calculator broke. Sorry, I can't answer that last question.
Ha, ha. I'm glad your calculator broke!Greenwood said:How many thought it worked and did not destroy Tolkien or the story? ........ Let's see $2,500,000,000 + gross and climbing for three films ......*tap, tap, tap*....... Wait! Wait! I am still counting. ...... *tap, tap, tap* ...... Millions of new readers of LOTR and other Tolkien works ....... *tap, tap, tap* ...... What the? ....... ?!?!?! ....... My calculator broke. Sorry, I can't answer that last question.
I guess all those millions of people will just have to be glad that the answer to the first question was at least one.
What is a "Jackson-purist"?jallan said:But the points that most people here complain about are the same points that most of the Jackson-purist types don’t talk much about.
Never been much of a Michael Jackson fan myself, though I guess Thriller was OK.jallan said:Not all Jackson’s innovations were bad. Michael Jackson is not an idiot all the time.
jallan said:Ah! Yes. Money.
Is Danielle Steele one of the greatest authors of the late twentieth century? Most writers don’t think so? Is Britney Spears the greatest singing talent? Most musicians don’t think so.
And it’s not just sour grapes.
Argumentum ad populum doesn’t work with me. Didn’t work with Tolkien either.
I don't think they ignore it, and I don't think anyone is driven crazy by it.Greenwood said:I notice you both conveniently ignore the point about the millions of new Tolkien readers that have been created by the films. Many of whom never would have tried Tolkien without the films. But then again, that seems to be one of the things that drives some purists crazy.
And the books are still there. Being read by millions who never would have read them otherwise.
joxy said:I don't think anyone is driven crazy by it.
I say an awful of them would have done so, sooner or later.
I say many of them would have tried later, or sooner, without the films. I estimate that on the basis of statistics, but I cannot know it for certain, so it must, as you say, be a matter for mutual disagreement.Greenwood said:Many of whom never would have tried Tolkien without the films. But then again, that seems to be one of the things that drives some purists crazy.
The phrases Greenwood used are in regular usage in British English and it is amazing to me that if you have a degree in English you have never come across them.joxy said:No, I'm a native Yorkshireman, and did a college degree course in English!
As always, the US and UK are divided by a common language.
Here a "sell-out" is something excellent: the success of a product for which there has been more demand than supply, something that has "sold out (of stock)".
"Hack" colloquially refers to the process of obtaining access illegally to a computer system.
You mean the second quotation is a US colloquialism, better left unexplained?
I'd agree with you. But it appears this is not to be. It is acknowledged amongst anthropologists and sociologists that it is harder to study the characteristics of a group to which one belongs. This is clearly in evidence here.Aragil said:Wasn't this thread a little more interesting (at least unique!) when we were discussing the various different motives underlying purity?
I'd love to once again discuss where PJ went wrong and how, but I'd feel bad doing that here because it would be a hijacking of Snaga's thread. I think this thread is relatively unique- let's leave it for its intended purpose. I'm sure positive and interesting comments can be made both for and against Snaga's thesis by everyone here. In the mean time, comments about how PJ did the movies (right or wrong) would probably be more appropriately placed in the dozens of threads dedicated to that subject.
The expressions "sell-out" and "hack" have the meaning to me, my friends, and my colleagues, that I explained in a previous posting. The usages which Greenwood explained are not familiar here.Snaga said:The phrases Greenwood used are in regular usage in British English.
I didn't say they were American, or suggest any other source. However, Greenwood quoted the definitions from Webster.Snaga said:....to say that these terms are American is not correct. Obviously, the uses of these terms you give are familiar as well, but the context would make it which meaning was being used.
Yes, they are blockbluster successes.Odo Proudfoot said:On what planet have you lived the last three years? These film are blockbuster successes, all three are in the IMDB top-10, the professional critics rave about them and give them ratings in the 90's!
Not true. Look around you.This 'negativity' you mention is constricted to a few message boards of hard-core purists, whilst the rest of the world celebrates the movies.
Universally is an awfully comprehensive word.Your 'horrific distortions' are Van Gogh's yellow skies - you are free to dislike them, but sorely mistaken if you think they are a reason to dismiss these films as the successful cinematic achievements they are universally acclaimed to be.
It seems to me this attitude is seen as much or more among Jackson-purists and as your arguments indicate.Nonetheless, because of the sense of escape and satisfaction, the consciousness of the criticism of the novel provokes anger and defensiveness on the part of devotees. Who are these critics? How dare they make these criticisms?
This is certainly as true of the sect of Jackson-purists, though I don’t think it generally true at all, But there were those already praising Jackson’s vision even before they saw it, accepting every piece of media hype and then explaining ad nauseum that Jackson had to increase Saurman’s role because it was cinematically unacceptable not to have one single main villain in all three films.Instead the inquisitorial obsessing over the movies has lasted years. Not only this, within the sect of Tolkien purists, the more strident the attacks, the more uncompromising the criticisms, the more extreme the displays of hostility the greater the status gained thereby.
An explanation that crashed rather painfully four weeks before ROTK was released, when that single main villain was relegated,jallan said:....there were those explaining ad nauseum that Jackson had to increase Saurman’s role because it was cinematically unacceptable not to have one single main villain in all three films.
The OO has never made any sense to me either, but it's so prominent that I've been thinking it must be based on somethingjallan said:Olympic Orc may become a standard term for something that looks dramatic but makes no sense whatsoever.
Touché.Greenwood said:What is a "Jackson-purist"?
Never been much of a Michael Jackson fan myself, though I guess Thriller was OK.I guess you got that one wrong jallan didn't you? Forget to check you facts? My tendency would be to think that you just made a slip while typing, but I know from your previous posts that you are a stickler for getting your facts straight.
The subject of new Tolkien readers never came up. It was not ignored. If it is considered that new Tolkien readers are a good thing, then possibly better films would have inspired even more new Tolkien readers.I notice you both conveniently ignore the point about the millions of new Tolkien readers that have been created by the films. Many of whom never would have tried Tolkien without the films. But then again, that seems to be one of the things that drives some purists crazy.
Then talk to Thorin about his reaction. Don’t blame all who might seem to be purists or accept the name.
I disagree. I cannot understand and others cannot understand some of the silly changes that were made.But Tolkien did sell the movie rights to the books. He knew what movies were and he knew they weren't the same as books. In my opinion these three films are closer to the story and spirit of the books on which they are based than any author has a resonable expectation of ever seeing.
One might suggest that possibly the besieged were running short of arrows and had been commanded not to fire save under direct orders.joxy said:Looking again at the OO scene, I note that the explosives are in spheres of the kind that are usually detonated by contact,
the sort of thing that is used against ships, so the guy needn't have lit his torch in the rain! Someone else has pointed out that there were plenty of people as well as Legolas who could have shot him down, and that this just happened to be the one time when Legolas turned out not to be such a good quick-fire archer as usual.
jallan said:But I’ve seldom let my aesthetics be driven entirely by what’s currently trendy in the mass media. That’s a poor reason in itself to praise anything
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?