• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Purity and the Critics

Jallan, I'm sorry you felt mocked, or indeed feel that I am mocking others. I disagree that mocking in return is a good way to deal with this.

In any event, you are very prone to assume you know my opinion on the movies. Indeed you have me down as obsessed by the uruk-hai!:D You happily label me as a Jackson-purist, so I find your indignation at being labelled to be unwarranted. You are free to dispute the appellation of purist as applied to yourself. I don't withdraw the assertion that you display many characteristics of the purist. But I didn't start this thread in order to thrust the name on anyone, and if in your own mind you are not a purist I can certainly live with that.

In so far as my characterisations are 'caricatures', then that also applies to TMFs. All such categories are generalisations, to which not everyone fits perfectly. That doesn't invalid them. Neither does it make them an attack. I reject the accusation that I am merely attacking beliefs and motivations because having failed to defend the movies, I wish to discredit those who criticise. I am not a frequent debator on the subject of the movies vs. the books, and have not been for some considerable time. I am not sure whether you are deliberately mis-characterising me, because you feel this is some kind of 'retaliation' for a perceived attack (i.e. being called a purist); or if you are genuinely confused about who you have "watched" or what you saw me/someone else do. Given your "eye for an eye" mentality in this thread, and acclaimed intelligence the former seems possible. If so, I am not insulted by being called a "Jackson-purist" however inaccurate the term. I am not scorning anyone's take on the movies, so the misnomer is not hurtful to me. But if you are genuinely confused, I count myself as a Centrist (of a somewhat unenergetic kind). But then you reject my characterisation, so that may not make any difference to you.

These are old debating tricks: if you can't successfully attack what people say then attack their motivation or attribute feelings or opinions to them that you can attack.
Quite so. Expertly done!
 
Greenwood said:
As I pointed out a few pages ago, the dictionaries, including the OED disagree with you. :D

Now if you want to change that to "he is a director who occasionally makes mistakes", I will be happy to agree with you. :)
And as I am sure I responded at the time - thought I haven't checked - my dictionary, the New OED, agrees with me: "incompetent- not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully". PJ did not show the necessary skills to prevent the barrels from vanishing from Faramir's cave between shots.
Referring to your hypothetical doctor, I'd say that if he made a mistake in one instance, the sort of mistake that DOES happen, and removed a part of someone's anatomy for no good reason, equivalent to those barrels, that he would stand little chance in succeeding with a charge of libel when that person casually mentioned that he had been incompetent that time.

I have been consistent in saying that I believe "occasionally shows incompetence" has a meaning, when applied to a "professional", identical to "occasionally makes mistakes".
Jallan's closing comment, above, is relevant here. I am sure you and I DO understand what we each really mean. ;)

aragil said:
....Snaga says, he is British, and he goes with incompetence as being a general term.
....my office-mate....considers incompetence to be a general term, one without levels, and a label which is considered quite insulting.
It was only a guess about the US!
The New OED definition I have quoted is good enough evidence for me of the standard UK usage, but if it is changing no doubt future editions will include the change. It is a pity though if changes of this kind are taking place.
The point seems to be whether or not the word can be regarded as having levels, or as being capable of qualification for such factors as time and place. I say it can, and I specify the factors.
It seems to me very odd to suggest that applying a human attribute in one specific instance, whether it's "incompetent" or "charming", has to be regarded as making a general insult or a general compliment. If someone does something incompetent on a specific occasion it should be not considered as an insult to state the fact, and the person should not take the comment to imply something that WOULD be an insult, ie that he is generally incompetent. Someone could be charming today, and horrible the next.
 
joxy said:
Referring to your hypothetical doctor, I'd say that if he made a mistake in one instance, the sort of mistake that DOES happen, and removed a part of someone's anatomy for no good reason, equivalent to those barrels, that he would stand little chance in succeeding with a charge of libel when that person casually mentioned that he had been incompetent that time.
Ah yes, comparing a trivial thing like those missing barrels (IF the example is correct :D ) with a doctor amputating a part of someone either through error or incompetence, major malpractice which might well lead to the suspension or revoking of the doctor's license for incompetence. That is certainly a relevant, proportional analogy. :rolleyes:

BTW, your barrels example is known as a continuity error and happens in nearly every film made. Film crews have a "continuity person" whose job it is to watch out for this sort of thing and see that it doesn't happen. I remember in the first Indiana Jones movie when Dr. Jones meets with some government agents he places a large, antique volume on his desk and the clasp on it falls open. In the next scene Dr. Jones undoes the clasp to show the agents something in the volume. This is a continuity editor. No one cares about it except to get a chuckle if it is noticed. No one takes it as bearing on Steven Spielberg's competence as a director.
 
Greenwood said:
....your barrels example is known as a continuity error and happens in nearly every film made. Film crews have a "continuity person"
No one cares about it except to get a chuckle if it is noticed. No one takes it as bearing on Steven Spielberg's competence as a director.
I know it is, and I know they do.
The director is the "boss", isn't he? If so, he's responsible for the final product; if he lets a mistake by one of his "underlings" get through to the final product, that's his reponsibility, and he has to take the blame. What's the point of someone doing a job, such as the "continuity man" (or "woman"!), if people simply chuckle when they get things wrong? If your car mechanic did the same sort of thing, would you chuckle? In the example you report, SS was, for that brief moment incompetent - he did not show the necessary skills to prevent the mistake going through. Of course no one takes a moment of incompetence as bearing on his general competence as a director.

Greenwood said:
....suspension or revoking of the doctor's license for incompetence.
You missed a point of my deliberately over-dramatised doctor story: if he was proved to be incompetent in that instance, it would not be a proof that he was incompetent always, or generally, that he always had been incompetent, that he always would be.
Maybe you agree with that; but you won't agree when I say that he would also have been incompetent, on another exceptional occasion, if he had done something less significant, such as taking the wrong person's medical records to a consultation.
One "major malpractice" gets a licence revoked for incompetence on that one occasion; but the person who did the malpractice was not incompetent on that one occasion?
My own example: I'm an accountant, I have to present a report to a company, I collect a series of reports from the departments in my office, get the last one late and put it into my case without looking at it. I give my report to the meeting, going through the file of reports as I do so, I come to that last one, and it's for the wrong company. I was incompetent not to have checked it. The next day I do all the checks, and give a full accurate report to another company : magic, I'm competent again.
An act of incompetence can be an occasional thing; being incompetent can be an occasional attribute. And, often, it's no big deal.
 
Snaga said:
In any event, you are very prone to assume you know my opinion on the movies. Indeed you have me down as obsessed by the uruk-hai!:D
Nine posts in less than a month's time hardly rises to the level of obsessed. I believe that jallan has you confused for either Greenwood or myself. While the confusion is not entirely unflattering, it is a little careless, not to mention as sure a sign of categorization as I've ever seen!
 
Thats an incredibly strange definition of incompetence you've got there.FOr one thing, the example you mentioned of there was a case of human error (the guy with the wrong paper) not incompetence.For me, (and you'll prob dispute this,but anyway), incompetence is the inability to perform one's duties to an acceptable standard.This standard must surely leave room for human error don't you think???I mean,your accountant(&Peter Jackson too) is not superhuman, but just like the rest of us-liable to make mistakes.thta doesn't make this guy any worse an accountant than it makes peter jackson a worse director.

My other qualm with your example is that the scale of the 2 things is incomparable.I'd say it would be physically impossible for jackson to(or anyone else)to have weeded out every single error in any of the 3movies.Sheer length alone would surely dictate that!Does this so make him incompetent!?I'd say more like bound to the laws of physics!
 
aragil said:
Nine posts in less than a month's time hardly rises to the level of obsessed. I believe that jallan has you confused for either Greenwood or myself. While the confusion is not entirely unflattering, it is a little careless, not to mention as sure a sign of categorization as I've ever seen!

Obsessed? Me? *clink .... clink .... clink .... clink* (the sound of the little steel balls I constantly roll in my right hand) :D :D
 
aragil said:
Nine posts in less than a month's time hardly rises to the level of obsessed. I believe that jallan has you confused for either Greenwood or myself. While the confusion is not entirely unflattering, it is a little careless, not to mention as sure a sign of categorization as I've ever seen!
Perhaps. My own theory is that rather than confusing us, he is actually 'conflating' our characters!;)

As for whether it is unflattering or not, that is certainly a subjective statement. I am also unclear whether you are saying that you are flattered to be confused with me, or that I should be flattered to be confused with you?:D
 
gilgalad said:
Thats an incredibly strange definition of incompetence you've got there.
For one thing, the example you mentioned of there was a case of human error....not incompetence.
For me, (and you'll prob dispute this, but anyway), incompetence is the inability to perform one's duties to an acceptable standard.
....the scale of the 2 things is incomparable....
....it would be physically impossible for jackson to have weeded out every single error....
Tell that to the editor of one of the best known and most respected dictionaries in the world!
New Oxford English Dictionary: incompetent: not having, or showing, the necessary skills to do something successfully.
I think your definition doesn't clash all that much with the NewOED's, so I don't think there's much to dispute there.
Making a human error in one specific aspect of doing one's job is an example of not showing, not necessarily of not having,
the necessary skills to do that particular aspect of the job at that particular time, and therefore shows the person to have been, briefly and temporarily, incompetent, on the occasion when he made the human error.
Being competent at one moment, and incompetent at another, is a quality of being human, a reflection of the fact that human error takes place.
As I have said before, being incompetent, occasionally, is no big deal.
Being incompetent, occasionally, does not imply being an incompetent person.
We are all incompetent occasionally, the doctor, the accountant, the film-maker, the author even!
A problem arises only when people say it is not possible to be incompetent occasionally - that a person must be either fully competent, all the time, or fully incompetent, all the time - either way, that person is not "human", and has left the "laws of physics" far behind!
The fact remains though that those barrels are pretty obvious to anyone, perfectly comparable to a wrong financial report,
and shouldn't have been a difficult weeding job for a professional of Mr J's calibre!
 
Snaga said:
As for whether it is unflattering or not, that is certainly a subjective statement. I am also unclear whether you are saying that you are flattered to be confused with me, or that I should be flattered to be confused with you?:D
The latter flatter, of course.
 
Greenwood posted:
Actually many of the purists do not accept Eowyn, at least not fully. If you look at threads where the death of the Witch-King is discussed you will find some of the same purists from this thread denying that Eowyn killed the Witch-King. Many contend that it was Merry who killed him. So you see, even when Tolkien writes a strong female character, some purists do not accept her and try to reduce her role. Once again Tolkien himself is not enough of a purist.
The impression that Merry slew the Witch-king is a strangely common misunderstanding.

Can you establish that this strange error about Éowyn is more common among Purists than others?

Why are Jackson lovers so ready to accept the trivialization of Gimli into a comical, ethnic sidekick: loyal and brave but not especially bright. Is that suggestion more viciously unfair than Snaga's. Take both charges with equal seriousness.

People who don't like strong women would object to the role given to movie-Arwen? People who enjoy comedy at the expense of funny foreigners might enjoy movie-Gimli? Jar Jar Binks fans (and there are some) probably see no problems with movie-Gimli either.

But that proves nothing about the motivation of any particular person or of most persons. Argument on motivation is justified if you can make a case for the motivation. Sometimes it is just innuendo.

Greenwood posted:
Yet later in the same chapter when Frodo offers to give the Ring to Gandalf the response is:
Quote:
" 'No!' cried Gandalf, springing to his feet."
No contradiction. Frodo is asks Gandalf to take over ownership of the Ring which is a different matter than Gandalf handling it for a moment or two. Gandalf explains.
Eowyn joins the ride of the Rohirrim as Dernhelm, and no one recognizes her! There are indications that the leader and the men of the troop she is riding with are in on some sort of unspoken agreement to ignore Merry's presence.
I had always thought that Elfhelm must have known who Dernhelm was and that there was more than an unspoken agreement to ignore Merry. It is one thing to find contradiction. It is another to invent it.

Why Elfhelm agreed to this charade is a bypass irrelevant to the tale though one Tolkien could have easily invented: loyal repayment of a debt owed to Éowyn by Elfhelm. Tolkien realistically describes the kind of unofficial looking-the-other-way implausible deniability which happens in all kinds of organizations when rules are being broken. Elfhelm and his éored have been pressured into the situation and they studidly ignore it as best they can.
This means that all of them, including a Marshal of the Mark are blithely disregarding the wishes and stated orders of their King. This is absurd!
Happens all the time both in stories and reality. People do disobey their king or captain or leader for good reasons and bad reasons with good and bad results. There are even tales of mutinies!
At the battle before the Black Gates suddenly eagles appear. From where? And just in time to carry Gandalf in to Mount Doom to rescue Sam and Frodo. Now, really! Are we really supposed to mindlessly accept such a convenient appearance of winged transport. How "mindless" are we supposed to be? Tolkien is simply an incompetent writer.
Not mindless at all. Romantic tales of stowaways and arrivals of the cavalry at the last possible moment are commonplaces in adventure stories and heroic romacnes. Tolkien naturally follows the appropriate conventions or the tale would not be an heroic romance. The conventions include last minute rescues, wonderful coincidences and weddings at the end.

One can find fault with that kind of story, from Greek legends through Fielding's Tom Jones (where Fielding takes great fun in pointing out how he as author is linking the threads) to many modern tales. But it is hardly incompetent or mindless to purposely write such things. Deus ex machina is usually considered a bit of a flaw but it sometimes does work very well.

Indeed it's reasonable enough that the Eagles decided to take part in the Battle of the Black Gate on their own as they did also in the Battle of the Five Armies. One can almost say, when they appear, "I should have expected they would turn up eventually," without saying it in scorn.
Now in forty years of reading LOTR it never occurred to me to consider Tolkien incompetent because of the above little inconsistencies and plot contrivances. I doubt I even noticed them the first few times I read the books. But under the positions being advanced here by some they prove Tolkien is an incompetent writer and anyone who enjoys the books and considers them great literature is guilty of mindless acceptance of inferior writing.
That is because they aren't errors. All of them are easily explained or are norms in the genre.

Most errors of which Jackson is accused cannot be saved by supposition or appealing to conventions of genre though Jackson supporters try. That is a big difference.

There are problems in The Lord of the Rings far more difficult to explain than the ones you failed to make into flaws. Some are straightforward continuity errors arising from bits of earlier drafts not being rewritten or simple forgetting, e.g. the moonlight on the West Gate of Moria.

Why is Strider wandering the wild armed only with a broken heirloom? (He probably as a knife but apparently nothing else ... not even a bow.) And despite Strider's statement that the broken sword was not much use, two-thirds of a sword in Aragorn's hands would have been enough to deal with four unamred hobbits. One must defend Tolkien by fan-fictioning reasoning about why Aragorn could be wandering alone with this broken sword. Yet lack of explanation is not bad explanation. And one can reasonably interpret Aragorn's words about the sword being not much good as meant to reassure Sam rather than as a statement of fact in those circumstances.

Jackson changed all that, presumably in part to avoid these recognizable difficulties.

There is also the question of why book-Saruman allowed book-Gandalf to keep his staff. (One can invent reasons.) Jackson also fixed that. That the staff is not broken in fighting the Balrog is probably a fix to make more credible Gandalf's later defeat of the Balrog.

There is a moral issue in book-Aragorn's hidden agenda to take advantage of the War to attempt the kingship. Jackson removed the issue.

You might have mentioned these.

Of course it is debated whether Jackson really needed to fix these difficulties considering how much he broke elsewhere.

There are real problems in the chapter "A Knife in the Dark" and throughout The Lord of the Rings that cannot be disposed of like the non-problems you raised.

The flaws in the book seem to me to be less serious and to come far less thickly than they do in the film. Part of the reason critics concentrate on such hard errors, however trivial, is that hard contradictions are easier to prove in debate than matters of style and tone and pacing and character. The Jackson-purist can more credibly and perhaps honestly deny perceiving the problems that the critic sees when style and tone and pacing is at issue. Errors more clearly proved are harder to deny.

The mantras "I accept it!" and "I don't see the problem!" don't work so well. If one points out enough such errors it becomes harder for an opponent to claim that the less provable lapses are all illusory.

Films like Casablanca have notorious lapes in logic and yet are still considered great films. But two or three great errors in logic and sensibility, even when they involve the foundation of the plot in the film are more easily overlooked when all else is so well done. Jackson stumbles more with far less reason.
Tolkien's LOTR, in its entirety, is a magnificent work.
Yes.
Jackson's film trilogy is also magnificent (in its entirety).
Only parts of Jackson's films work well.
Both have details that can be criticized (and I do not dispute Jackson's has more than the book), but the details do not justify a charge of incompetence as a writer leveled at Tolkien nor a charge of incompetence as a director leveled at Jackson.
Would you prefer inadequate to incompetent for something like the silly beard trimming in the exorcism? The word used doesn't change my wonder at how such silliness got in.
In my opinion, no reasonable person not blinded by prejudice, who watched these films after reading the books, could possibly doubt Jackson's considerable familiarity with the books.
Considerable familiarity is a vague enough term to be hard to argue for or against. What is odd is the strange mixture of clear and brilliant film making and excellent adaptation mixed with shoddy and careless film making and bad adaptation of a kind that suggests a stereotypical Hollywood director dumbing down and gimmicking up and missing the heart of anything touched.

It seems like a masterpiece by one director who fully understood the book has been finished by a clueless hack.

How the films actually came to be so mixed I do not know.
I merely point out that if you are going to throw the word at Jackson based on the trivial things I have seen cited, than the charge can equally be laid on Tolkien. I think the charge is absurd in both cases.
Concentration on a single word rather than what is meant evades the issue that Jackson fails outrageously on occasion (and fails less outrageously very often, at least compared to his source). You earlier deny equally and deny that you meant the charges against Tolkien seriously.

Where is your argument?
 
Last edited:
jallan said:
It seems like a masterpiece by one director who fully understood the book has been finished by a clueless hack.

How the films actually came to be so mixed I do not know.
Perhaps I can aid you in your cornfusion. It could possibly be that You enjoy some parts while disliking other parts- which would reflect more on your personal preferences than on the movies themselves.

Most critics seem to find the movies excellent in their entirety. Are most critics wrong, are you wrong, or is it subjective?
 
jallan,

The point, which you both ignore and provide additional evidence of, is that purists point out perceived flaws (some real, some not, many exceedingly minor -- barrels and beards) in the films and use them as evidence to justify a charge of incompetence (or "hack") against Jackson. Yet the same or similar flaws in Tolkien are ignored. When Tolkien has eagles show up at just the right time he is "following the conventions" of adventures stories and romantic fiction, yet when Jackson follows the conventions of film making (as in a horse chase scene) he is a "hack" following tired movie cliches.

[Added in edit: BTW, the longer beard on Theoden when he is still under Saruman's "possession" is just a cinematic device to make him look a bit more like Saruman -- as in Saruman's long beard. Unexplained, and unexplainable, changes in phyical attributes are fairly conventional. Where does the tremendous increase in mass come from when whatever his name is is transformed into the Hulk? In a similar vein, how is it that when Bilbo and Frodo put on the Ring their clothes become invisible too, yet the Nazgul's clothes are not invisible, though the Nazgul themselves are permanently invisible because they are now permanently wraiths?]
 
Last edited:
Greenwood said:
=Tolkien....is "following the conventions" of adventures stories and romantic fiction, yet when Jackson follows the conventions of film making (as in a horse chase scene) he is a "hack" following tired movie cliches.
....longer beard on Theoden....is just a cinematic device to make him look a bit more like Saruman....
The concepts of the "conventions of adventure stories and romantic fiction" and of "tired movie cliches" are not comparable.
The horse chase isn't part of this particular discussion, but there are plenty of other moments which certainly are "tired".
You know that the beard is such a device, that PJ actually intended it that way? How do you know? Why should he want
T to look like S, and do you really think it works?
The idea that it was meant to be such a device hadn't occurred to me, and I don't think it works, even if it made any sense!

aragil said:
Most critics seem to find the movies excellent in their entirety.
You're talking about people who give their opinions on things and get paid for it?
I give each of them as much attention as I give to my opinion, and to yours.
If they DO find the ENTIRE films EXCELLENT then I suggest they're not doing their jobs properly.
It's easy to say, with that French man, "all is good in the best of all possible worlds", but harder work to actually THINK!
 
joxy said:
The concepts of the "conventions of adventure stories and romantic fiction" and of "tired movie cliches" are not comparable.

That's not necessarily true. One man's "convention" is another's "cliche". Case in point:

A friend (who had never read LOTR, but knew the movie was based on a popular book) asked me after viewing FOTR if Aragorn's story-line was in the book (he had listened to me whine about some of the changes PJ made on a few occasions). I told him that it was, but some of the particulars had changed. He asked if Aragorn was a King-in-Exile in the book. I told him yes. He thought that was "one of the stalest tricks in the book" (his words) seen in any numbers of myths, legends, King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc.......
 
Tar-Palantir said:
That's not necessarily true. One man's "convention" is another's "cliche". Case in point:

A friend (who had never read LOTR, but knew the movie was based on a popular book) asked me after viewing FOTR if Aragorn's story-line was in the book (he had listened to me whine about some of the changes PJ made on a few occasions). I told him that it was, but some of the particulars had changed. He asked if Aragorn was a King-in-Exile in the book. I told him yes. He thought that was "one of the stalest tricks in the book" (his words) seen in any numbers of myths, legends, King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc.......
"Stale?" Hardly! "Cliche?" Not likely! Indeed, the story of "hidden kings" runs right through history, especially Biblical history. Consider David the shepherd boy and his "hidden" descendant, the King of Kings born in a stable - Jesus Christ! Of course, Arthur is but a archetype of The Christ figure. Why, one can even find the thread in "fairy tales" such as The Ugly Duckling (swans being the "royalty" of bird-dom).

Perhaps Jackson's version of Aragorn's story caused it to appear stale to your friend, but it certainly isn't "stale" in the book! Or, at least, it isn't if one is reading it aright rather than immediately assuming it to be nothing more than a "stale cliche" or even a "convention".
 
joxy said:
You know that the beard is such a device, that PJ actually intended it that way? How do you know? Why should he want
T to look like S, and do you really think it works?
I know you haven't seen ROTK; have you also not seen TTT? At the beginning of the confrontation between Gandalf and the "possessed" Theoden, Jackson even has Christopher Lee speaking Theoden's lines. Listen to his voice. Gandalf is clearly addressing Saruman: "You didn't kill me. You won't kill him." (paraphrasing). When Gandalf ends the possession we see Saruman cast backwards in his room at Isengard and Theoden "morphs" into himself. There seems to be much in the films that you never considered, IMHO, because you were so absorbed with disliking everything that Jackson did that was not exactly like the book.

Tar-Palantir has already addressed you "convention" vs. "cliche" point.
 
Last edited:
Mrs. Maggott said:
"Stale?" Hardly! "Cliche?" Not likely! Indeed, the story of "hidden kings" runs right through history, especially Biblical history. Consider David the shepherd boy and his "hidden" descendant, the King of Kings born in a stable - Jesus Christ! Of course, Arthur is but a archetype of The Christ figure. Why, one can even find the thread in "fairy tales" such as The Ugly Duckling (swans being the "royalty" of bird-dom).

Perhaps Jackson's version of Aragorn's story caused it to appear stale to your friend, but it certainly isn't "stale" in the book! Or, at least, it isn't if one is reading it aright rather than immediately assuming it to be nothing more than a "stale cliche" or even a "convention".

You miss (and make) my point. I was trying (feebly, it seems) to point out that what may seem like perfectly noble convention to me may seem like over-used cliche to another. As it does to my friend. It had nothing to do with the LOTR movie (which he rather enjoyed) or Aragorn per se. To him, it may seem like nothing more than a plot device similar to amnesia in soap operas (it's not that bad for him, just old). Just because I (or you) don't agree doesn't make him wrong.
 
Yes, the "morphing" of Theoden into Saruman was obvious - and talk about "cliches"! It was unnecessary. Tolkien had "magic" in his story, but he didn't use such devices. Saruman's "magic" is the power of his voice (which is never developed in the films) and it was the means he used (through Wormtongue) to at first attract and then eventually overcome Theoden. It wasn't necessary for any other "magic" to take place. The king is merely seduced, not possessed. Gandalf strikes down Wormtongue and then releases Theoden from bondage not by "striking down" Saruman miles away, but by bringing the king from the darkness of his physical (and mental) surroundings out into the daylight and speaking with him as one "man" to another. Gandalf does not sink to Saruman's level by "interfering" with Theoden's "person"; he merely frees him from the bondage of fear and confusion which have been placed upon him slowly over a long period of time. It may seem a small difference, but it is not in the overall meaning of the story.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top