• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Quenya translation check for Christmas card

Esteliell

New Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2024
Messages
2
Hello everyone!


For Christmas, I managed to find a Quenya & Sindarin dictionary that I plan to gift to my father. Given that I do like linguistics and the universe of Tolkien, I’m trying my hand at translating some sentences to write on the gift card. It’s been really interesting, I feel like I’m back in Latin classes in school.
The quote would be (more or less) : “Father, may light shine on you during those festive times. We shall thank Eru for the Man that wrote this book. It is my hope that you’ll find knowledge there.”

I have a first draft of translation, and would love some feedbacks (full details are more than welcomed, it’s what makes it interesting!). I’ll try to explain all the choices I’ve made, so hopefully any mistake in reasoning should be quite easy to flag.

Father, may light shine on you during those festive times.
=> Atar, sirá sinomë nai laurë caluvas tyen.
  • Father : Atar
  • may shine: nai (may, wishing) cal(a) + uva + s => nai caluvas.
  • on you: tye + -n (unsure about the dative here) => tyen
  • light : cala/calë or laurë, I chose laurë to avoid repetition with cal-, and golden light seems to fit the spirit of Christmas.
  • during those festive times : I couldn’t find something in the vibe of festive times, so I decide to go for “today in this place” which is kinda what it means anyway.

We shall thank Eru for the Man that wrote this book.
=> Hantuvalvë Eru nernen ye tecës parma sina.
  • We shall thank : Hant(a) + uva + -lvë (inclusive we) => Hantuvalvë
  • for the Man : nér (ner-) + instrumental -nen => nernen
  • that wrote : ye (that) + tec + ë (past, no “n”) + s => ye tecës
  • this book : parma sina.

It is my hope that you will find knowledge there.
=> Nás estelenya ya tuvuvatyë handë tassë.
  • It is : Nás
  • my hope : estel + nya (e in between) => estelenya
  • that you will find : ya (impersonal) + tuv + uva + tyë => ya tuvuvatyë
  • knowledge : handë (accusative so nothing more)
  • there : tassë (or short form tás)

Though it might be riddled with mistakes, I hope I haven’t butchered it too much! I’m all ears to any kind of feedback, and sorry to be one more case of someone needing help for a translation!
 
1) "Father, may light shine on you during those festive times."
=> Atar, nai cala/cálë caluva tyenna (en)të/(en)tai meryë lúmís.
- the demonstrative adjective/pronoun meaning "those" : owners of Parma Eldalamberon #23 can probably tell me whether I got this right or wrong
- s-case as temporal locative : see Eldamo

2) "We shall thank Eru for the Man that wrote this book."
=> Hantuvalvë Eru neren ye tencë parma sina.

3) "It is my hope that you will find knowledge there."
=> Nás estelinya i/sa tuvuatyë handë tassë.
- the connecting vowel before -nya being i instead of e : The Lost Road p. 70 (atarinya "my father")
- i / sa = conj. "that, (Ger.) dass"
- the future tense of tuv- being tuvua- : see Eldamo
 
Last edited:
1) "Father, may light shine on you during those festive times."
=> Atar, nai cala/cálë caluva tyenna (en)të/(en)tai meryë lúmís.
- the demonstrative adjective/pronoun meaning "those" : owners of Parma Eldalamberon #23 can probably tell me whether I got this right or wrong
- s-case as temporal locative : see Eldamo

2) "We shall thank Eru for the Man that wrote this book."
=> Hantuvalvë Eru neren ye tencë parma sina.

3) "It is my hope that you will find knowledge there."
=> Nás estelinya i/sa tuvuatyë handë tassë.
- the connecting vowel before -nya being i instead of e : The Lost Road p. 70 (atarinya "my father")
- i / sa = conj. "that, (Ger.) dass"
- the future tense of tuv- being tuvua- : see Eldamo
Sorry I hadn't seen the notification! Thank you for the links and for taking of your time to answer my post. :)
I suppose neren instead of nernen is a rule if the word ends with a consonant, you can skip the first 'n' ?

Thanks!
 

Similar threads

Back
Top