• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🧙Radagast, how would you rewrite him

KatieLee

New Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2023
Messages
18
I had the great privilege yesterday to meet Sylvester McCoy and chat with him for a quick moment. He portrayed Radagast in The Hobbit (and more importantly the 7th Doctor).

I was thinking, most people brush over Radagast's appearance in the Hobbit by only voicing their disappointment in his appearance and mannerisms and overall presence. But I want to know what would you do about it if you had some creative say?

If Radagast had to be in the Hobbit films, how would you have him portrayed and rewritten? What part would he have to play? Because we all know the whole rabbit part, while maybe fun to watch, was ridiculous.
 
It's great that you got to meet Sylvester McCoy! I loved his portrayals of both The Doctor and Radagast.
As The Doctor, I remember him being very good at rolling his R's for dramatic/comical effect. It's been a while since I've seen The Hobbit movies. I can't remember if he did his trademark R rolls when he said something like: "These are Rhosgobel Rabbits!"

I was OK with the rabbit sleigh ride but would recommend cutting the birds nesting (and doing other things) on his head.
 
Lucky you for getting to meet one of the Doctors!
I always imagined Radagast as having a beard and wearing a brown cloak and brown pointed hat - basically Gandalf wearing brown.
 
Lucky you for getting to meet one of the Doctors!
I always imagined Radagast as having a beard and wearing a brown cloak and brown pointed hat - basically Gandalf wearing brown.
I was actually lucky enough to meet 4 Doctors. Peter Davison, Collin Baker and Eccleston were there as well. Peter Davison (5) was actually the nicest to talk with, but all of them were great.

My personal preference for Radagast would have had to do more with the vibe he gave off. There is a vast difference between the homeless hippy hermit that lives in the woods, and the wise man that has chosen the company of animals over people on his personal journey to enlightenment. Basically a down to earth, soft spoken (but not timid) Gandalf who speaks to animals instead of people.

I liked the idea of him telling Gandalf of the sickness in the forest and noticing the changes that heralded the coming of Sauron. Let his presence have more to do with the white counsel part of the story rather than the dwarves and their journey.
 
I'd start with removing bird's poo on his ear, then go from there.

As with other characters, in both Lotr, and Hobbit, I don't blame actors for acting these (non book) characters, but Peter Jackson who instructed them to do it like that. These are all amazing actors (well, with exception of Orlando Bloom, of course), and with some better director, both movies would be bought to the next level.
 
I was actually lucky enough to meet 4 Doctors. Peter Davison, Collin Baker and Eccleston were there as well. Peter Davison (5) was actually the nicest to talk with, but all of them were great
KatieLee, I am now super jealous. Peter Davison is my favorite doctor. Where did you get to meet them?
 
I liked the idea of [Radagast] telling Gandalf of the sickness in the forest and noticing the changes that heralded the coming of Sauron. Let his presence have more to do with the white counsel part of the story rather than the dwarves and their journey.
Yes, Radagst's home was east of the Misty Mountains. His message to Gandalf (from Saruman) in LoTR was precipitated by the extreme crisis of The Nine being about in the wider lands (they didn't "exist" at the time JRRT was writing "The Hobbit"). Having him meet Thorin & Co. on their way to Rivendell (and an Orc attack so early on) was part of PJ's padding to get a trilogy out of that smallish book.

And his being part of the White Council also makes sense, for the reasons you give. Whose meetings I would think to have taken place in Lothlórien, not Rivendell. JRRT never mentions the meeting place explicitly, but there are other hints. Both Celebrían and Arwen are said to have visited their mother respectively grandmother, but I don't recall JRRT mentioning return visits. Which makes sense, as Galadriel's presence, and protection provided by her Great Ring (kind of a Girdle of Melian repeat), in Lothlórien, facing Dol Guldur, was far more vital than Elrond's presence in Rivendell. And for Radagast, taking part in meetings in Lothlórien was a much shorter trip than to Rivendell.
 
KatieLee, I am now super jealous. Peter Davison is my favorite doctor. Where did you get to meet them?
I was able to see him at Pensacon in Florida, a bunch of my friends had decided to travel for it, so me and my husband went with them. It was a lot of fun.

Yes, Radagst's home was east of the Misty Mountains. His message to Gandalf (from Saruman) in LoTR was precipitated by the extreme crisis of The Nine being about in the wider lands (they didn't "exist" at the time JRRT was writing "The Hobbit"). Having him meet Thorin & Co. on their way to Rivendell (and an Orc attack so early on) was part of PJ's padding to get a trilogy out of that smallish book.

And his being part of the White Council also makes sense, for the reasons you give. Whose meetings I would think to have taken place in Lothlórien, not Rivendell. JRRT never mentions the meeting place explicitly, but there are other hints. Both Celebrían and Arwen are said to have visited their mother respectively grandmother, but I don't recall JRRT mentioning return visits. Which makes sense, as Galadriel's presence, and protection provided by her Great Ring (kind of a Girdle of Melian repeat), in Lothlórien, facing Dol Guldur, was far more vital than Elrond's presence in Rivendell. And for Radagast, taking part in meetings in Lothlórien was a much shorter trip than to Rivendell.
So his presence near Rivendell wouldn't necessarily make as much sense as it would for him to be near Lothlórien. I hadn't considered that as a part of my argument for his white counsel involvement as opposed to the actual role he played in the movies.

I would have personally loved to see more of Lothlórien in the films.

My thought was for a more serious and wise version of the character who contributed to the dialogue and the decision making as opposed to the action scenes. A more cerebral character if you will and those scenes would have been a good fit to bring that side out.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top