• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

RIP Steve Irwin

HLGStrider said:
I don't know how big they grow scientifically, but I've seen pictures which are either taken in pretty poor scale or show a much larger sea beastie. I think there is more than one species, and everything is bigger in Austrailia, as we all know. . .

Really? I guess we have the Big Banana, Big Guitar, Big Pineapple, Big Penguin and a big desert;)

Well another great Australian is dead: Peter Brock. I'm not sure how many people other than myself and the other Aussies will know who he is, but he was one of the most famous, if not the most famous car racer in Australian history. How did he die? While driving in Western Australia, he crashed into a tree and was killed. He was a good person, and adored by many, including his rivals on the track. Farewell, P. Brock.
 
Barliman Butterbur said:
You're mistaken — 3m meters is 9 feet. ;)

Barley the Nitpicker


D'oh! I messed up my numbers again. I DO know 3 feet is about 1 metre, but apperently I messed up somewhere along the line. Good thing I'm not a pilot.:D

Latest news that reached this former ocean floor, is that footage of mr. Irwin puilling the stinger from his chest will not be released. How long before it will be spread all over the internet, I wonder. :eek:

A grown tree is not something to be dislodged by a car, we get nasty accidents like that around here too. Another Aussie dropped from the planet? That'll teach you to live on the bottom side of a globe.:rolleyes:
 
I didn't know you were an Aussie Noldor...interesting.

Barley you are a nitpicker....you should start always signing your name as such.

Anyway, my heart goes out to Mr. Irwin's family. Though really, I doubt Steve would have wanted to go any other way...he loved the wild so much.






PS...I was so not surprised to find this thread on TTF...even though this has absulutly nothing to do with Tolkien!:D
 
Firawyn said:
I didn't know you were an Aussie Noldor...interesting.

Barley you are a nitpicker....you should start always signing your name as such.

Anyway, my heart goes out to Mr. Irwin's family. Though really, I doubt Steve would have wanted to go any other way...he loved the wild so much.






PS...I was so not surprised to find this thread on TTF...even though this has absulutly nothing to do with Tolkien!:D

Indeed, I am. Ever since I was born.

Anyway, Irwin's family have rejected the Australian Government's offer for a public funeral, and have instead decided upon a private funeral, since he wanted to be, "just an ordinary bloke." There is to be a public memorial service instead.
 
Noldor_returned said:
Indeed, I am. Ever since I was born.

Anyway, Irwin's family have rejected the Australian Government's offer for a public funeral, and have instead decided upon a private funeral, since he wanted to be, "just an ordinary bloke." There is to be a public memorial service instead.

Maybe you can give us some inside info on this Granger woman, who has ripped Irwin up and down in the news recently. She totally disapproved of his lifestyle, and seems to have a scandalous reputation. What's her story?

Barley
 
Barliman Butterbur said:
Maybe you can give us some inside info on this Granger woman, who has ripped Irwin up and down in the news recently. She totally disapproved of his lifestyle, and seems to have a scandalous reputation. What's her story?

Barley

In short, Germaine Greer is an ex-pat Aussie who now lives in London and is by all definitions an extreme feminist (she authored a well known book by the name of "The Female Eunuch"). Her views have made her many enemies, and most Aussies tend to hate her, especially after she called all Australians "too relaxed to give a damn" in regards to certain political issues. This whole Irwin-bashing approach has made her even more enemies.

Personally I wish she'd crawl back into the hole she came out from.
 
Aulë said:
...Germaine Greer is an ex-pat Aussie who now lives in London... This whole Irwin-bashing approach has made her even more enemies.

Personally I wish she'd crawl back into the hole she came out from.

Thanks for the clarification. CNN has been advertising "Irwin's Last Moments" for Larry King Live tonight — if they're actually going to play the videotape with Irwin pulling the barb out of his chest, I'm not sure I want to watch...

Barley
 
RIP Steve Irwin.

I'm sorry Steve Irwin's gone. In a world where everything has a guard rail and no-one dares do or say anything for fear of being politically incorrect, he was a breath of fresh air. I bet his is the only zoo where the crocs got any fun at all. A bit like playing tug-o-war with a puppy dog and a rag rope, only with higher stakes.

Also, I can see why Germaine Greer would object to someone so unapologetically, outspokenly enjoying doing what every little boy would love to grow up to do (after being a train driver).

I read that his wife heard of his death from a family member who heard it on the radio. Can someone please say that this is not the case?
 
His wife and children were holidaying in Tasmania, but as to how they heard I hope that wasn't it too. And Germaine Greer, after having done Australian history this year, I have a lot of respect for her. She is the mother of feminism in my beloved country, and I agree with her beliefs, although what she did I am not altogether in agreeance with.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top