• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Roverandom

JeanCat13 said:
Wouldn't it be great if we all had dads to make us stories when we lost our dog! ... GREAT BOOK! PROP TO TOLKIEN
I've often thought so, and he seemed at first to just make it up as he went along. What a gift!

He also wrote The Hobbit as a serial letter to his son, and sent all his children wonderful, illustrated letters from Father Christmas, including the one about the great Goblin attack of 1933. Even LotR was discussed via letters with his son, who was then in the RAF on active service. But I also consider those children blessed whose fathers read good books to them, stimulating their imaginations and fostering a love of books. It boils down to 'love' being spellt t.i.m.e.
 
I have had Roverandom sitting on my shelf for a few years now and finally picked it up to read it. I loved it! I decided immediately that that will be one of the first books I introduce to my kids (though that should be a long time away ). Tolkien's wit and humor is great in this book! I just laughed and laughed.

One of the fascinating things to me about Tolkien's writings is that he connects them all somehow. Even in Roverandom you get a glimpse of "The Bay of Fairyland (as we call it ) beyond the Magic isles; and saw far off in the last West the mountains of elvenhome and the light of Faery upon the waves. Roverandom thought he caught a glimpse of the city of the Elves on the green hill beneath the Mountains. . . ."

Also, the "Dark side" of the moon where the Man on the Moon weaves dreams for children is uncommonly like a similar story (that I only read once) in the Book of Lost Tales I.
 
I've read just the first pages of it, maybe I should translate it in italian, though it is already translated, but I'll do it for my pleasure... but I've read something about it... they say it's a not-ready book to be printed, but you don't seem of the same opinion....
 
Mith said:
they say it's a not-ready book to be printed, but you don't seem of the same opinion....
"they" also say that Lord of the Rings does not follow proper story structure, major characters are dropped suddenly and storylines not developed. They are right; but these are the flaws that make the diamond shine so brightly.

Roverandom was a story told to a small boy to comfort him on the loss of his toy dog on the beach. I think Tolkien simply told the story again for the rest of us with the same linear plot he used for his small children; and again I believe it works.
 
But however I can't agree with "them" as I've not read all the book yet. Yesterday I read something more... it seems a very nice story, but I'm steel at the very beginning...
 
I found it OK the first time I read it.
The second time (a few years later) it was a slog.
I understand the circumstances that prompted Tolkien to write it, but in this case charity does not quite cover a multitude of sins.
The Hobbit was also written for a child but is (imo) much better written and far superior.
 
Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…