Valandil
High King at Annuminas
- Joined
- Jun 8, 2004
- Messages
- 594
We have had discussions about the size of the Stone of Erech - was it only 6’ (or 6’-4” which is 2 Ranger, “man-height”) in diameter or 12’ / 12’-8” - as the text seems to indicate. And if the latter, how much did it weigh, how could Isildur possibly: load it aboard his ship, bring it to Middle Earth, unload it, and transport it up to Erech?
It’s hard to conceive, but I was going on faith - figuring Isildur was just that kind of guy (or the Numenoreans were just those kind of guys), and had some ingenious way of getting it done that we don’t know about.
But in my current reading, I read again about the black Tower of Orthanc, and how it resisted the Ents. And later about the black outer wall of Minas Tirith, and how strong it was - both built when the skills of the Men of Westernesse were undiminished. Like it’s some kind of ultra-tough black concrete.
Then I got to the black Stone of Erech. And I start thinking… what if? What if Isildur didn’t BRING it there, but MADE it there? Maybe what he brought from Numenor was the know-how. Perhaps the tools. Maybe a small amount of something that was a necessary ingredient? He could have formed it up, poured it, shaped it - however you would do that.
Is that what he brought? Maybe he made it there and told the Men of the White Mountains that he brought it there? Made the historians or chroniclers record it that way too?
Or even - if he DID transport it from Numenor, it’s much more possible that it’s hollow if it was built or made, than if it was cut stone. Greatly decreasing the weight.
I’m thinking more and more that the Stone of Erech is made of the same stuff as Orthanc in Angrenost, and the outer wall of Minas Tirith, which was Minas Anor.
It’s hard to conceive, but I was going on faith - figuring Isildur was just that kind of guy (or the Numenoreans were just those kind of guys), and had some ingenious way of getting it done that we don’t know about.
But in my current reading, I read again about the black Tower of Orthanc, and how it resisted the Ents. And later about the black outer wall of Minas Tirith, and how strong it was - both built when the skills of the Men of Westernesse were undiminished. Like it’s some kind of ultra-tough black concrete.
Then I got to the black Stone of Erech. And I start thinking… what if? What if Isildur didn’t BRING it there, but MADE it there? Maybe what he brought from Numenor was the know-how. Perhaps the tools. Maybe a small amount of something that was a necessary ingredient? He could have formed it up, poured it, shaped it - however you would do that.
Is that what he brought? Maybe he made it there and told the Men of the White Mountains that he brought it there? Made the historians or chroniclers record it that way too?
Or even - if he DID transport it from Numenor, it’s much more possible that it’s hollow if it was built or made, than if it was cut stone. Greatly decreasing the weight.
I’m thinking more and more that the Stone of Erech is made of the same stuff as Orthanc in Angrenost, and the outer wall of Minas Tirith, which was Minas Anor.

