please note 'grew and took shape'.For coming out of the wastes of the East he took up his abode in the south of the forest and slowly he grew and took shape there again; in a dark hill he made his dwelling and wrought there his sorcery.
'It is Sauron himself who has taken shape again and now grows apace.'
If he was that powerful at the time of the Hobbit, and was growing in power after that, I would think he certainly had enough power to take visible human form. As to using others to speak for him, many dictators, or rulers use this method of communicating with enemies, after all, Sauron is hardly likely to simply ride out into the midst of an army composed of his deadliest enemies, so instead he sends his emissary which is a perfectly normal thing to do in thiat situation.Soon he will be too strong for you, even without the Great Ring; for he rules the Nine and of the Seven he has recovered three.
Sauron was not of mortal flesh, and though he was robbed now of that shape in which he had wrought so great an evil, so that he could never again appear fair to the eyes of Men, yet his spirit arose out of the deep and passed as a shadow and a black wind over the sea, and came back to Middle-earth and to Mordor that was his home. There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dur, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the EYE of Sauron the Terrible few could endure .
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
Well, now! Are we going to discuss in a civilized manner or use mockery in order to look more convincing in our arguments?
If you state that Sauron had ONLY one form - that of a human body, then quote from these books the extracts where it is PARTICULARLY mentioned and/or described so! The LETTERS, you so many times refer to, are just to reveal the course of creation of one or another character, the author's opinions on what he was creating, the desire to share these opinions and comment on them. The content of the Letters, however, can hardly be accepted as the FINAL decision of how exactly this or another character would be presented in the main stroy.
Sauron lost power when he was destroyed in the Atalante, couldn't he had lost so mutch power when the ring was taken away by Isildur and he was defeated that he couldn't take shape again?
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
Sauron's shape is described as an "lidless eye". So, yes, it is an eye surrounded by flames. I am sure there was a place in the book describing it, but sorry, I could not find it right now.
Lhu. just imagine the eye sitting like you early in the morning and watching what's happenning in the forum ,having a cup of coffee near him.So is there really an eye sitting up there on the tower?/QUOTE]
*bursts with laughter*
Forgive me, but it's so funny to imagine how an eye can "sit"!!!
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
I am trying to say that Sauron the Great Maia could choose to take ANY shape he wished, though not that mighty or that fair as he used to appear in in the old times.
I am just saying that the form mostly seen by the majority of the LOTR characters is that of an "eye in burning flames". I am NOT the one who chose that shape - Sauron (through Tolkien, of course!) has chosen it!
And the quotes some of the participants here, incl. me, have provided, clearly back up this argument.
Therefore, I most certainly could have NOT imagined an "eyeball (as a matter of fact, it was NOT an "eyeball" as you say; it was like the pupil of a cat's eye) with a four-fingered arm sticking out of it" (though what a horrifying picture it would have been!).
HEAR ME, I stand for the fact that Sauron cose to apear in diffrent forms, but mostly produced the horrifying image of the "burning eye".
This is from Note 5 to Osanwe-kenta (by JRRT) as published in VT 39.Melkor alone of the Great became at last bound to a bodily form; but that was because of the use that he made of this in his purpose to become Lord of the Incarnate, and of the great evils that he did in the visible body. Also he had dissipated his native powers in the control of his agents and servants, so that he became in the end, in himself and without their support, a weakened thing, consumed by hate and unable to restore himself from the state into which he had fallen. Even his visible form he could no longer master, so that its hideousness could not any longer be masked, and it showed forth the evil of his mind. So it was also with even some of his greatest servants, as in these later days we see: they became wedded to the forms of their evil deeds, and if these bodies were taken from them or destroyed, they were nullified, until they had rebuilt a semblance of their former habitations, with which they could continue the evil courses in which they had become fixed". (Pengolodh here evidently refers to Sauron in particular, from whose arising he fled at last from Middle-earth. But the first destruction of the bodily form of Sauron was recorded in the histories of the Elder Days, in the Lay of Leithian.)
Lhunithiliel wrote:
Now - the Letters:
What is commented on in them I will not deny. Yet, in the main story there have been numerous comments about the shape that Sauron had taken but not once it was clearly stated what exactly this shape was and if it was only one!
Did Gollum do that?Re. Gollum: Based on my theory that Sauron could choose any shape, I think he chose to appear in this precise form in front of Gollum in order to horify the poor creature. But THE MOST IMPORTANT point here is - Sauron may have chosen to look like in the old days because he knew that after he released Gollum the creature would go among the other peoples of the ME and terrified as he was, he would spread the news : "The Dark Lord has returned! Mighty as in the old days! Fear him! Obey him!" I can NOT accept what Gollum saw as an evidence of Sauron ONE and Only shape.
The drawing: Sorry, I can not comment, because I have no idea of what you are speaking. It is obvious that this is some drawing by Tolkien. OK. But I have to see it in order to comment , right?
But have you HEARD the author?There now, I have HEARD you and I'd like you to HEAR me!
Yes I know,but I hate the morningsOriginally posted by Lhunithiliel
Gil-Galad,
Yes, only my eye is not burning within flames and I deffinitely do not live in a tower!
But mornings are my favourite time of the day!!
-----------
I am GLAD that you have joined our Guild!
From The Council of Elrond:
I guess that proves it.'He was none other than Sauron, our Enemy of old, at length taking shape and power again.' (also Gandalf)
Originally posted by mr underhill
that simply states the shadow returned.. not many shadows are physical forms..
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?