Just had to jump in and give my piece after just finding out yesterday that PJ was going to cut out the Scouring. Just like Talimon I think that "The Scouring is an important part of the story, and in many ways the whole ending of the tale is altered by cutting it." It shows that
evil can get in anywhere, anytime. I just can't see the
hobbits returning home to a
Shire not touched in any way by the War. Like someone mentioned (I can't remember who),
The Shire is always this little safe spot in
Frodo's heart, and I feel that the sadness of the torn up Shire is only part of what Frodo and the hobbits have to deal with when they get home. Life couldn't be just a piece of cake after
Sauron was destroyed. It just doesn't make sense for the hobbits to go home to a happy, prosperous Shire. I think the the Scouring is necessary to convey how much Sauron touched
Middle Earth. I just can't picture a place as comfortable as The Shire staying completely untouched by evil while the rest of ME was in turmoil. Not to mention the fact that the hobbits think that they are going to find the Shire just like it was, but then realize that evil cannot be destroyed by one incident. Sauron touched ME, and his touch would remain long after he was destroyed. Such is the way of evil.
As for the Cinematical element, I think a bitter-sweet ending would be perfect. I can't see the movie ending completely happy. So much sacrifice was involved by Frodo and sacrifice loses it's potency if there is nothing to sacrifice. If everything is just great in the Shire and Frodo goes home and lives happily ever after, where is his sacrifice? Of course this also has to do with Frodo's unrest in the Shire, the scars that
the Ring left with him, his going to the Gray havens, etc. Yes, a bitter-sweet ending would be perfect especially since so much of the movie is bitter-sweet. A big happy schabang at the end wouldn't fit.
By the way, does anyone know if they are or aren't going to have the departures to The Gray Havens?