GuardianRanger
Calmindon
- Joined
- Jan 1, 2003
- Messages
- 472
I went to Miriam-Webster to look up canon:
(There were other definitions, but this was the best, I think, for this thread.)
Going by what's been discussed so far, we could say that:
canon = The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
non-canon = The Silmarillion, the History of Middle Earth, and anything else I have unintentionally ommitted.
It seems there is no denying that the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are universally accepted as definitive.
However, to a varying degree, The Silmarillion and the History of Middle Earth have a high degree of validity. It's just that JRRT passed before they could be published. His passing is where we draw the line on canon. Would they have been published had he lived longer? Did he even want them published? Maybe that's where the differing of opinions comes into play.
According to the definition, we could surmise that all of the works (where they have not been added to by Tolkien's son) are canon because they were at one time written by him.
I hope this isn't off topic.....I'm just trying to explore the realm of Middle Earth and see it from the big picture of JRRT's mind. Personally, I accept his son's editing and writing; as if it were not for him, I never would have read any of the other books.
My initial querey was because I saw the HoME boxed set listed as JRRT and Christopher Tolkien. I didn't know how much of the writing was JRRT and how much was Christopher Tolkien.
[Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, standard] a : an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture b : the authentic works of a writer c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works <the canon of great literature>
(There were other definitions, but this was the best, I think, for this thread.)
Going by what's been discussed so far, we could say that:
canon = The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
non-canon = The Silmarillion, the History of Middle Earth, and anything else I have unintentionally ommitted.
It seems there is no denying that the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are universally accepted as definitive.
However, to a varying degree, The Silmarillion and the History of Middle Earth have a high degree of validity. It's just that JRRT passed before they could be published. His passing is where we draw the line on canon. Would they have been published had he lived longer? Did he even want them published? Maybe that's where the differing of opinions comes into play.
According to the definition, we could surmise that all of the works (where they have not been added to by Tolkien's son) are canon because they were at one time written by him.
I hope this isn't off topic.....I'm just trying to explore the realm of Middle Earth and see it from the big picture of JRRT's mind. Personally, I accept his son's editing and writing; as if it were not for him, I never would have read any of the other books.
My initial querey was because I saw the HoME boxed set listed as JRRT and Christopher Tolkien. I didn't know how much of the writing was JRRT and how much was Christopher Tolkien.
