• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Strangeness on Orthanc

Mike

Beowulf's lost son-in-law
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
339
In the movie, Gandalf and Saruman are both scene on the pinnacle of Orthanc. It's a flat plain. However, there is no way to acces it from the inside. No trap door, nothing.

How the hell did they get up there? Fly?

And if they could just "fly" or "teleport" around, then why didn't they just do that instead of walking? Could've saved a lot of time (and Saruman could have just "teleported" out of Orthanc when he was trapped).

In the book, there was a stairway leading back into the tower. In the movie, nothing. Could someone tell me how in hell they got up there?
 
In the scene where Gandalf is bound by Saruman and we have the delightfully comedic spiral up to the rafters, his dizzy trip ends with a sudden (I assume) diagetic "thud", and a swift cut to black. I always figured there was a cunningly concealed trapdoor that he was flung against and then through. After all, isn't there an octagram or something inscribed on the roof? Surely some of its edges could conceal a trapdoor entrance?
 
Hammersmith said:
In the scene where Gandalf is bound by Saruman and we have the delightfully comedic spiral up to the rafters, his dizzy trip ends with a sudden (I assume) diagetic "thud", and a swift cut to black. I always figured there was a cunningly concealed trapdoor that he was flung against and then through. After all, isn't there an octagram or something inscribed on the roof? Surely some of its edges could conceal a trapdoor entrance?

Yes, I've always noticed this "octagram" whenever I watched the movie. For some reason, I always thought that Gandalf being flung agianst it thrust it open and somehow it closed really fast before he lands again :D.
 
A very good question. I've wondered a couple of times, myself. I think a trapdoor is the most likely explanation, since there obviously are no stairs.
 
That's entirely possible. He overlooked many other details, including Pippin's hands not being tied for one shot in TTT when the horse is about to trample him!
 
lol, I've noticed that as well...Pip's hands I mean.

About the Tower. You're right. How the hell did he get up there? I was wondering, was the tower of orthanc an acctauly built set, or was it a mini replica and they just used the blue screen to film it?? Perhaps this is why there is no door or stairway...Hummmm :confused:
 
Did you expect a lit Fire Exit sign maybe? :eek:

You are "imprisoning" a wizard of Gandalf's skill and power on the roof. Do you really want an easy exit for him. It is perfectly reasonable to assume there is a cunningly hidden trapdoor to the roof. Anybody remember the doors of Moria? The secret door into the Lonely Mountain? Both easily opening from the inside, but invisible from the outside except under certain conditions. Let's use a little imagination people! :rolleyes:
 
Maybe they should do a Gay eye for the straight sauron episode on the top of Orthanc and have the guys do a firey eye decorations :D

You can only do the suspension of disbelief for so long as an audience, otherwise it becomes a health hazard :D
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top